Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse oximeter (SpO2) safe to use every night?
Pulse oximeter (SpO2) safe to use every night?
I bought a Contec CMS-50F back in February and have been using it almost every night. I've now noticed my finger is getting a little sore/red towards one side. I'm not sure if this is due to an allergic reaction to the silicon, or tightness of the probe on my finger. Is the infrared light from these probes safe to use every night?

I found this article that says something that these devices could cause skin burns?
http://patientsafety.pa.gov/ADVISORIES/d...506_25.pdf
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse oximeter (SpO2) safe to use every night?
I am not sure about the safety. Have you tried using different fingers?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can use it every night, but home monitors aren't INTENDED to be used every night. My primary doc has me use mine 3-4 nights in a row every month or so. I only have to report to him if the numbers are dropping further.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used my Contec CMS-50F every night for the last three years. I use it on the same finger every night and I dont have any marks on my finger. But I am in the sun every day so my skin may have more tolerance to it. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 05:10 PM)facemir Wrote: I have used my Contec CMS-50F every night for the last three years. I use it on the same finger every night and I dont have any marks on my finger. But I am in the sun every day so my skin may have more tolerance to it. 

My experience has been the same for 2 1/2 years, except I am not out outdoors a lot. (Contec CMS 50I)
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,219 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,799 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.