Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pulse rate during REM Sleep
Pulse rate during REM Sleep
Anyone else seeing pulse rates like this during REM sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pulse rate during REM Sleep
It seems unusually extended to me.  REM takes place over a few minutes at most, not for 30+ minutes.  I do NOT mean to alarm you, and I only ask this in case it's something serious that you need to attend to, but could it be AF?  Atrial fibrillation?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, not alarmed, but I did definitely notice it.

I'm having a sleep study this week, so hopefully they will catch it. Although some nights it does not happen, but the pulse is a bit elevated overall.

The BP monitor has never registered AFib, but I have no idea if it can be transient.
Post Reply Post Reply
A BP monitor probably isn't designed to detect AF, although some must be these days, the more costly ones.  Normally it's a heart monitor with ECG capability.  I'm happy that my Galaxy 4 watch just got updated and finally has the app to detect AF.  This happened six months after I purchased it.  It doesn't warn me as a monitor, but if I engage the app and do what I need to with a finger on a button, it will detect AF if it is taking place and let me know.

You may have paroxysmal AF and not know it, or maybe ventricular tachycardia is what is being shown.  I hope your test shows something so that they can deal with it if necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, my Galaxy 3 never did get the fancy apps that I paid for. They never released the firmware for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that it's unlikely to be due to REM - REM latency (time to first REM) is usually much longer.

My SleepU doesn't track AF pulse rate that well - I suspect it's too irregular. It could be some other form of SVT. Does your watch track pulse as well? Are you able to see any artifacts there that correlate with these events? They may not look the same, but could be different to "normal".

If it doesn't get caught in the sleep study (how often does it happen based on captured data so far?) you should tell your doctor and get a holter monitor until you catch it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since the Wellue/Viatom oximeters sample every second and record an entry every 4 seconds. Depending on the AF's frequency, I can see the oximeter having the potential to gloss over the pulse irregularities.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pulse has been high for a bit, so there is definitely an underlying issue, including shortness of breath, which they are aware of. I wore the monitor for 48 hours, but that was a while ago. I should go back to the cardiologist, as the GP will just refer me anyway. The spikey pulse rate seems pretty erratic, so the Sleep Study may or may not catch it.

My monitor is the SnoreO2, which is a cousin of the SleepU, so I'm sure it works the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, SnoreO2 appears to be a display-less (predecessor?) version of the SleepU.

Just for comparison, here's what my SleepU records when I'm in AF. The actual (ventricular) rate is around 100-140bpm but it's very irregular so non-ecg style devices get confused...

Post Reply Post Reply
The SleepU seems to have a higher sampling rate? 

Yes, the SnoreO2 is the Lookee branded  predecessor of the SleepU.

I also have a CheckMe, but I assume it's the same as the SleepU.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 16 52 minutes ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 236 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,216 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 114 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 852 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.