Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Purchasing out own headgear? Purchase? Where?
Purchasing out own headgear? Purchase? Where?
As a mouth breather that has been given a FF mask, I want to be able to use it and am trying but some nights I wake up at 4am with a really dry mouth that feels like I have cotton wool in there and i end up taking my mask off for the rest of the night and going back to sleep.

I can't have this dry mouth. It defeats half the purpose of my getting this system. But I haven't been at this long enough to know if it is often yet or not.

So I am thinking of the nasal pillows and a chin strap such as, ResMed Swift LT and I also use the ResMed Chin Restraint. But I also don't want to give up my FF mask, only to discover that the pillows don't work either.

Can anyone suggest to me how much the cost would be to purchase said pillow IF i bought it through a store, or some company somewhere?

Even just a rough estimate so I would know if I want to buy it or not?

Second question, if i can buy it does anyone here in Toronto know where one would go to purchase one of these?

I am assuming that its not a bad idea to have more than one mask anyhow? And i know my insurance won't pay for 2.........
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Purchasing out own headgear? Purchase? Where?
(02-27-2014, 10:09 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: So I am thinking of the nasal pillows and a chin strap such as, ResMed Swift LT and I also use the ResMed Chin Restraint. But I also don't want to give up my FF mask, only to discover that the pillows don't work either.
Can anyone suggest to me how much the cost would be to purchase said pillow IF i bought it through a store, or some company somewhere?

Check out the Supplier List, at the top of every page on Apnea Board. Some of them ship to Canada. There are also some specifically Canadian suppliers that are not listed on the Supplier List, but Google can find them for you.

A new mask costs from $75 to $150, depending on the make and model. There are lots and lots of them.

Most suppliers, even the online ones, will require a copy of your prescription. Some of the suppliers will contact your doctor directly and have the doctor fax your prescription to them. This sounds like a nice service, but it's really so you won't have a copy of the prescription in your hands. They don't want to make it easy for you to buy from another supplier. Best to call your doctor and get a copy for yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Isn't the prescription just the number your machine must be set to? If so, then I was given that prescription after my last sleep study.
In fact I posted a photo of it in another thread where my doctor actually had the nerve to write on it that i was to have the S9-Escape and if I wanted the Auto-Set I had to pay for it myself.
Is this the prescription that you mean?

We have to go up to the place next week with our prescriptions. To get a machine for the hubby and I guess in my case to ensure my machine is set to the right level?
IF that is the prescription you speak of, I should keep the original and just give them a copy, is that right?

Thanks in advance ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:58 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: ...my doctor actually had the nerve to write on it that i was to have the S9-Escape and if I wanted the Auto-Set I had to pay for it myself.

That would have been my EX-doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:09 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: As a mouth breather that has been given a FF mask, I want to be able to use it and am trying but some nights I wake up at 4am with a really dry mouth that feels like I have cotton wool in there and i end up taking my mask off for the rest of the night and going back to sleep.

I can't have this dry mouth. It defeats half the purpose of my getting this system. But I haven't been at this long enough to know if it is often yet or not.

Just a thought but the FF mask makes the system work effectively for a mouth breather but does not stop the mouth breathing which is what causes the dry mouth. At least that is my thought. I am not sure that it is possible but I wonder if you might not try a chin strap with the FF mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:58 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Isn't the prescription just the number your machine must be set to? If so, then I was given that prescription after my last sleep study. In fact I posted a photo of it in another thread where my doctor actually had the nerve to write on it that i was to have the S9-Escape and if I wanted the Auto-Set I had to pay for it myself. Is this the prescription that you mean?
We have to go up to the place next week with our prescriptions. To get a machine for the hubby and I guess in my case to ensure my machine is set to the right level? IF that is the prescription you speak of, I should keep the original and just give them a copy, is that right?

First, let me comment that prescription requirements vary from place to place. And even within the same country different suppliers treat them somewhat differently. I'm a USan and the prescription requirements here are not very clearly written, so some suppliers interpret them liberally, while others go to the other extreme. In general, though, most places require the prescription for both the machine and the mask. On the other hand, while they require the prescription for a full mask, replacement parts do not require a prescription.

My original prescription said Respironics System One APAP plus mask. Since it said just "mask" the supplier is free to dispense whatever mask I want. As for the machine, I returned the original and bought the same machine used on Craigslist for $250. That machine is still working fine, but I bought an out of box Resmed S9 Autoset from Supplier #2 because I like it a little better. When I bought it they asked if I had a prescription and I said "yes." They never asked me to fax them a copy.

Right after the diagnosis the sleep doctor sent the original prescription to a local DME. The next day the DME called me to make an appointment to come in for the machine and mask fitting, plus instructions. After a couple weeks working with them I was unhappy with their service (I had to drive through about 60 km of screaming city traffic to get to them, plus they didn't seem to care). So I went to my doctor and asked for a copy of my prescription so I could go wherever I wanted. They were happy to give it to me.

You will read horror stories here about doctors not being willing to give the patient a copy of the prescription, but most are more than happy to do so. In the US they are required to give you a copy by law. Were I you I wouldn't waste time in getting a copy of the prescription. It's the only way to gain freedom to get the equipment you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 11:32 AM)JohnNJ Wrote:
(02-27-2014, 10:58 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: ...my doctor actually had the nerve to write on it that i was to have the S9-Escape and if I wanted the Auto-Set I had to pay for it myself.

That would have been my EX-doctor.

Life is just too short. My HMO pays for the cheapest boat anchor they can call a CPAP. I just ponied up and spent the money to buy my own Auto and have not regretted it for one minute! When you buy your own and spend those bucks, you are also more likely to use it every night. It is no longer about compliance, it is about getting your money's worth! Of course I couldn't afford the expensive route so I went with Supplier #2 and got a gently used one and that was at least 2 years ago and it has performed extremely well. I guess if you are willing to spend the money you have already made the decision that you are going to use it no matter what! I honestly do not even know I have this thing on! It is so comfy with the varied pressure and all. I have to open my mouth or put my hand in front of the exhaust to make sure it is on! Then again, having the flow of air stop when the electricity goes out wakes me up instantly so I really should know it is working! LOL!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
In answer to those that said that would have been their X-Doctor, trust me, he is now my X.
But being Canadian its a bit different for us and what you might get easily is not so easy for us, or vice versa, depending on what it is.

This was spoken about in another thread so I won't go into detail other than to say, that we are done dealing with the doctor.
My husband just has to pick up his machine and we more or less are stuck to that doctor for him anyhow but once it is picked up next week, that will be the end of our association with both he and the DME as I gather the office the DME is in is also associated with the doctors ( I don't believe he owns it but just has a practise that is associated )

Once I'm done with him next week. I will be making sure that he gets a very negative, albeit honest write up from me which will end up in every forum his name is in so anyone looking him up for use will be sure to go somewhere else. Next time I will interview doctors first and see who will be willing to give me the machine I want and only then will they get my business and my hubbys.
He was arrogant and screwed with me so I will do what little i can to make sure some clients go elsewhere, so as to make sure he doesn't screw with them either. That write up will be the first thing that hits anyone goggling his name or perhaps sleep apnea doctors here in Toronto.

I have already decided that if I must use this machine I have, its not the end of the world. It will still do the trick, albeit not as well but I can live with it and in a few years when ready for a new one I will be using a new doctor and sleep clinic next time.
Bt that time I will be far more knowledgeable than I was this time. But this machine is still good enough that it will do the trick.
But I do believe the scam for the doctor is that he gets paid a certain amount of $$ and makes more by selling u the cheapest machine. I believe that is what they are doing?!!

In any event, thats another topic but as PaytonA has suggested, I wonder IF one wearing a FF mask can also wear a chin mask to keep my mouth closed? Is that possible?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:58 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: Isn't the prescription just the number your machine must be set to? If so, then I was given that prescription after my last sleep study.

No, there's different prescriptions. It's like if you have an infection. There's the prescription for the antibiotic medication. There's another prescription for the pain medication. There's another prescription for...you get the idea. And on the prescription for the antibiotic will be Penicillin Xmg, 2 a day, 7 days.

The prescription for the machine is the same. You have the 'script for the machine itself then the directions for the settings of the pressure.

But then you also have to have a separate prescription for the mask.

So if you are going to get your own mask out of pocket, you need a prescription first. You'll want to get either a copy of your original prescription or get another one. You want to keep a copy (or the original) of it so that you can use it again and again.

Quote:We have to go up to the place next week with our prescriptions. To get a machine for the hubby and I guess in my case to ensure my machine is set to the right level?
IF that is the prescription you speak of, I should keep the original and just give them a copy, is that right?

Yes, that's the one. Is the mask on it as well or just the machine? Is this the same place where you got yours?

If it is the same place, ask for a copy of your prescription. Tell them you want it for your own records. Don't let them tell you that you don't need it. I'm sure Canada has a law in place that says you have a right to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
As ShelaghDB notes, the situation is different in Canada than the US - and in fact, it is different in each province.

1. Regarding doctors - for the family doctor (or GP), here in Nova Scotia, it is difficult to find a family doctor that is accepting new patients, and if you have one, you don't really have the option to switch. Most only accept new patients that currently don't have a doctor. You can lie and say you don't have one, but then you can't carry forward all your history to the new one.

2. Regarding prescription and equipment - may doctor wrote one that basically just said Moderate Apnea - need CPAP. I take it to the sleep clinic that did my home sleep test and they provided a 4 week trial on an S9 Autoset. For masks, they allow me to try any mask for 30 days. If within that time frame I don't like it, they will take it back. Otherwise, I pay for it and then submit the receipt to my private insurance.

3. Regarding costs - in Nova Scotia, none of the equipment is covered by the government (however, the family doctor visits always are), it is all out of pocket or covered by private insurance (often premiums are through your employer) and that can vary greatly from no coverage to 100% coverage depending on the plan.

I believe that Ontario is different and has some government coverage.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,659 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 441 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 354 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 474 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.