Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Purchasing out own headgear? Purchase? Where?
RE: Purchasing out own headgear? Purchase? Where?
(02-27-2014, 10:09 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: As a mouth breather that has been given a FF mask, I want to be able to use it and am trying but some nights I wake up at 4am with a really dry mouth that feels like I have cotton wool in there and i end up taking my mask off for the rest of the night and going back to sleep.

I can't have this dry mouth. It defeats half the purpose of my getting this system. But I haven't been at this long enough to know if it is often yet or not.

So I am thinking of the nasal pillows and a chin strap such as, ResMed Swift LT and I also use the ResMed Chin Restraint. But I also don't want to give up my FF mask, only to discover that the pillows don't work either.

Can anyone suggest to me how much the cost would be to purchase said pillow IF i bought it through a store, or some company somewhere?

Even just a rough estimate so I would know if I want to buy it or not?

Second question, if i can buy it does anyone here in Toronto know where one would go to purchase one of these?

I am assuming that its not a bad idea to have more than one mask anyhow? And i know my insurance won't pay for 2.........

First, you may be able to jack up your heat/humidity enough to keep from drying out -- have you tried that? (I don't know your machine's capabilities.)

Last night, I was trying the Innomed Hybrid 'FFM' (which is really an Oral Mask combined with Nasal Pillows (Hybrid) and was TRYING to keep my mouth open and breath through my mouth so as to test this mask for when my nose is congested to badly for straight pillows.

With the temp (and humidity) set at 86 on my S9 Autoset, I did NOT dry out (but I did breath through my nose some, maybe as much as half.)

This mask is a GREAT choice for someone who wants pillows, can breathe sometimes through the nose but needs to stay on the mask if the nose congests or the mouth just happens to open.

Vendor #1 offers the EXCELLENT ResMed AirFit P10 for only $100 with the special of FREE SHIPPING and FREE RETURN INSURANCE.

With that Return Insurance you are safe to try the mask and send it back if it doesn't work.

How could you lose?

With other masks, you can pay 15% to 20% to get the Return Insurance if you wish.

I am keeping the P10 and the Hybrid however.

The Hybrid is everything I wanted from the F & P Oracle HC452 Oral CPAP Mask AND MORE: It's comfortable and has nasal pillows.

The Oracle is almost unwearable by *me* (Although after 3 tries and 4-5 hours I did eventually sleep with it a couple of hours.)

If you really wanted an ORAL only you could just remove the pillows and block off the pillow holes on the Hybrid. Silver tape would probably do it just fine.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
My HMO sends me the Swift FX so I don't have to worry about masks, but I did want to try the Swift FX Nano when it came out and I ordered it through Supplier #10. They were very good, price was reasonable, shipped and received on time and as it turns out the Nano uses the same headgear as the FX so I got yet another spare headgear! Smile Bonus!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Let me preface this post by saying, I can't understand what any of these prescriptions say....I don't know how anyone reads them.... ;-)

Paula02

[quote] But then you also have to have a separate prescription for the mask.

So if you are going to get your own mask out of pocket, you need a prescription first. You'll want to get either a copy of your original prescription or get another one. You want to keep a copy (or the original) of it so that you can use it again and again.[/quote}

I believe this is the prescription for the face mask?
If so, then yes, I do have it, and can use this if i want to pay for one but what if i decide I want a nasal pillow mask since i get cotton mouth with the FF?
You mean to tell me I can't buy one on my own without a prescription?

[Image: FFMaskPrescripIThink_zpsf80943b8.png]

Speaking of which, I was just browsing though Craigslist in Toronto and people are selling S6 Resmed Elites, slightly used and say they cost them $2,000 to purchase?
Sheesh, are they really THAT much?
That seems to be a bit high to me LOL

I saw someone giving away a free S7 Elite I think it was, unused or barely used......
And I saw masks for about $200 w which again I thought was very high, although I did see one FF mask from some distribution company selling for $66

Here, below is the prescription for my machine. You will note...LOL...that the arrogant pr&^%$# actually wrote down that i do NOT qualify for the Auto set and will have to pay out of pocket....This is the new X Doctor ;-)

Dr. Vanek MD, FRCPC for anyone in Toronto who wants to know who NOT to go to, this is one doctor you don't wish to deal with!

[Image: Prescription_zpsa648178d.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 04:44 PM)ShelaghDB Wrote: I believe this is the prescription for the face mask? If so, then yes, I do have it, and can use this if i want to pay for one but what if i decide I want a nasal pillow mask since i get cotton mouth with the FF? You mean to tell me I can't buy one on my own without a prescription?

It depends on the supplier. I would bet that any online supplier will sell you any mask you want with that prescription, in spite of the fact that it says "full face mask." I bet the same would be true for the machine.

I do recommend Supplier #2. Their service is excellent (reported over and over again here), and I know they ship to Australia, so surely they will ship to Canada. For that matter, they are in Minnesota, so push come to shove you could drive down and get a machine. Unfortunately, their main business is in machines, so they do not sell very many masks. Otherwise, most of the others will also ship to Canada, so go to their web sites and poke around.

And I hope by now you are aware that a nasal pillow or nasal mask coupled with a chin strap works well for many mouth breathers. Do not assume that a full face mask is your only option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Paula02

Quote: But then you also have to have a separate prescription for the mask.

So if you are going to get your own mask out of pocket, you need a prescription first. You'll want to get either a copy of your original prescription or get another one. You want to keep a copy (or the original) of it so that you can use it again and again.

I believe this is the prescription for the face mask?
If so, then yes, I do have it, and can use this if i want to pay for one but what if i decide I want a nasal pillow mask since i get cotton mouth with the FF?
You mean to tell me I can't buy one on my own without a prescription?

[Image: FFMaskPrescripIThink_zpsf80943b8.png]

Speaking of which, I was just browsing though Craigslist in Toronto and people are selling S6 Resmed Elites, slightly used and say they cost them $2,000 to purchase?
Sheesh, are they really THAT much?
That seems to be a bit high to me LOL

I saw someone giving away a free S7 Elite I think it was, unused or barely used......
And I saw masks for about $200 w which again I thought was very high, although I did see one FF mask from some distribution company selling for $66

Here, below is the prescription for my machine. You will note...LOL...that the arrogant pr&^%$# actually wrote down that i do NOT qualify for the Auto set and will have to pay out of pocket....This is the new X Doctor ;-)

Dr. Vanek MD, FRCPC for anyone in Toronto who wants to know who NOT to go to, this is one doctor you don't wish to deal with!

[Image: Prescription_zpsa648178d.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought my swift XL nasal pillow set up off "fleabay" the short tube and pillow together and the headgear separate. Somehow that's how they get around the whole prescription thing just selling parts. You just have to figure out the parts you need to make a whole. Between the two was about $75 and the part I like is the pillows are $10 - $15 so I am not going through insurance for anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2014, 10:09 AM)ShelaghDB Wrote: As a mouth breather that has been given a FF mask, I want to be able to use it and am trying but some nights I wake up at 4am with a really dry mouth that feels like I have cotton wool in there and i end up taking my mask off for the rest of the night and going back to sleep.

I can't have this dry mouth. It defeats half the purpose of my getting this system. But I haven't been at this long enough to know if it is often yet or not.

So I am thinking of the nasal pillows and a chin strap such as, ResMed Swift LT and I also use the ResMed Chin Restraint. But I also don't want to give up my FF mask, only to discover that the pillows don't work either.

Can anyone suggest to me how much the cost would be to purchase said pillow IF i bought it through a store, or some company somewhere?

Even just a rough estimate so I would know if I want to buy it or not?

Second question, if i can buy it does anyone here in Toronto know where one would go to purchase one of these?

I am assuming that its not a bad idea to have more than one mask anyhow? And i know my insurance won't pay for 2.........

There is a cpap supplier here in Scarborough Ontario I've seen the ad on kijiji
Post Reply Post Reply
it looks like both scripts have masks on it. one script has nasal mask/pillows which ever you choose and the other is for a ffm. at least that is what the doctor's handwriting looks like
Post Reply Post Reply
ShelaghDB the rules are different in Canada and from province to province. There is a helpful post here that gives the government guidelines for an Autoset in Ontario.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ent?page=2

As for buying a mask in a Toronto store check out this thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ers?page=2

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,527 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [Equipment] Brevida mask with Evora headgear BeauPetitNez 8 1,660 01-13-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: BeauPetitNez
Question [Equipment] Is the headgear on AirFit N20 the same as AirFit F20? James87 4 441 01-12-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: labrat
  P10 Headgear paulag1955 2 354 12-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  F&P Solo Headgear Columbiabill 1 475 12-09-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: yankees123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.