Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pushing Resmed to help on COVID-19?
Pushing Resmed to help on COVID-19?
If the CPA Resmed machines can be tweaked to help breathing better in case of pneumonia, shouldn't we put pressure (no pun intended) on Resmed to update their machines to remove some of the artificial restrictions they have implemented or have new settings.

A lot of CPAP/APAP/BiLevel machines have exactly the same hardware, and therefore it's just the software that needs updating/derestricting.

I think a respirator/ventilator and a CPAP machine share many of the same hardware components, and Resmed could help utilise those machines in time of global shortage.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pushing Resmed to help on COVID-19??
I'm sure ResMed will sell all the new machines it can to health care providers treating COVID-9 patients.

They won't be helping people who want to treat themselves.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepster nailed it! These are FDA approved Class II respiratory devices, and there is no chance that they will be modified by a firmware release to do anything not integral to the original approval. No device manufacturer will even discuss therapy with patients, let alone modify it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-15-2020, 10:50 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Sleepster nailed it! These are FDA approved Class II respiratory devices, and there is no chance that they will be modified by a firmware release to do anything not integral to the original approval.  No device manufacturer will even discuss therapy with patients, let alone modify it.

In times of emergencies, I think anything is possible. If the various countries end up being short of respirators to treat people properly (which is very much likely to be the case), and there are already hundreds of thousands of machines at home that could help, why not?
Post Reply Post Reply
Doctors can prescribe these machines for off-book use, which would include pneumonia.  They would need someone else to say this is valid.  Then the machines they would be looking at would be bilevel, not CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't Resmed already make ventilators for hospital usage?
I'm sure I've seen that they do.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pushing Resmed to help on COVID-19?
I know Philips makes machines that may be like or equal to ventilators that would be found in hospitals. I'm thinking ResMed does not. Despite these devices being capable of being similar to a ventilator, it does not mean they will freely OTA our machines to become ventilators. We are not the customer, and we aren't expected to be smart enough to edit our settings with any medical reasoning. We aren't responsible enough to control our therapy or other needs.

I'm not saying we don't know what we're doing on AB, but the medical world doesn't recognize this as being acceptable.

Keep in mind, medically trained people have told apnea patients that adjusting their own CPAP is illegal and it would blow up your lungs. Besides, here in the US, FDA controls dispensing these devices. Resmed, Philips, and others are not changing SOP for this corona virus issue. Have they ever changed SOP for other illnesses labeled epidemic or pandemic? I didn't think so.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed.

FACT:  We are on our own if we want to in any way to utilize a CPAP, Bi-level, or ASV machine for COVID-19 pneumonia remediation.

The "ResMed/Philips/DeVilbiss/F&P Knight in Shining Armor" is not coming to save us.

The government isn't going to "come save us" either.

When the hospitals are completely filled up and there's only enough ventilators to help 1 out of every 100 people who need it, we will be completely and utterly ON OUR OWN.

Best get involved with this thread:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-pneumonia

At least we can attempt to help ourselves, which is exactly what people on Apnea Board have been doing since 2004.

Just sayin'... Whistle
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
I have long wondered if all ResMed machines are the same under the hood, with precisely the same parts with the ONLY difference being firmware or if there are internal mechanical differences?

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
This is what I saw

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 746 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 22 1,988 01-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: subconscious
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 352 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Health] AHI Increased - Covid Positive amfar33 2 411 12-27-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Covid/paxlovid/and CAs Dave7777 6 712 08-08-2023, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Dave7777
  CPAP and LONG COVID Fred N 5 658 04-24-2023, 12:45 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  cpap & covid cberistain 4 625 03-18-2023, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.