Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Puter: Win 7 desktop icons
My partner's desktop icons keep resetting themselves. They all shift over to the left. It irritates her which means she fusses at me to "fix it, fix it now". Sigh.

Windows 7. 64 bit. Up to date.
"auto arrange icons" is off (and was when I first checked)
"align icons to grid" is off (it was on but I switched it off, just in case)

I've tried a freeware called DesktopOK but I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm running Malwarebytes right now but I doubt it will show up anything.

I recently updated her Skype and Java but the icon shift happened several days later.

Any idea how to fix this? I've used my Google Foo but I can only find stuff from about 4 yrs ago.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-04-2016 06:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset

RE: Puter: Win 7 desktop icons
I should also add that her quick task bar whatever icons also disappear. Until I add one, then they are all back.

I got DesktopOK to work but on restore, the icons I test moved flash over to where they should be then flash back to the left.

No virus or malware were found other than Ask toolbar crap in the registry which I removed. (probably from Adobe)

About to try something from Tweaking website.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-04-2016 07:15 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Sorry Paula, no idea. I'm running the same OS on 2 machines and not having the problem.

03-04-2016 11:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

It happens on my Win 7 PC occasionally. It always seems to happen if the cable to the second screen comes adrift (different interface with an adapter plug).

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

03-05-2016 01:48 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Yeah, I read it happens if the display is changed and a lot with two displays.

I'm going to reset her theme and see if that does anything.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-05-2016 10:55 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Is her computer a desktop or laptop? Mine is a laptop that I normally use with a separate monitor. If I boot it up without the separate monitor and then go back to my separate monitor arrangement the icons have been moved. Just a thought.
03-05-2016 12:12 PM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

I noticed that some updates would wreak my icon location after I installed them. I have been using a freeware named Desktop Restore that is hosted by a website named midiox. It allows you to save your desktop's current configuration and recall it later. All the commands(Save, Restore and Custom Save/Restore) are placed in your display's options menu. It will allow for multiple monitors as well. Oddly enough after installing it over a year ago, I've only needed it once.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
03-05-2016 01:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(03-05-2016 12:12 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  Is her computer a desktop or laptop? Mine is a laptop that I normally use with a separate monitor. If I boot it up without the separate monitor and then go back to my separate monitor arrangement the icons have been moved. Just a thought.

I've seen that happen before. It's because the two screens have different resolutions. I hooked my W7 laptop up to my big screen TV via HDMI and it moved all my desktop icons around.

Desktop is a folder under the username. Perhaps the properties of that folder are not correct.

Located at "%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Desktop"

One property I note is there is no "sort by" checked.
Look for that Paula.

03-05-2016 01:03 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

I think I found the problem. I was reading TomsHardware forum and this guy was trying a solution. He said his "Bitdefender Ransomware didn't like that and he had to turn it off". The problem resolved itself on the next reboot and has never happened again. I read the thread through and they all thought it had resolved itself, not that turning off the Bitdefender module had done anything. So I turned off the module and it is fixed.

The Ransomware module works by blocking programs from changing things on your computer. You can designate files, folders, and even drives for it to "protect". Apparently, the desktop itself is protected by default. Win 7 has a problem with desktop icons resetting anyway (which is why there are sooo many possible solutions and freeware/shareware out there to fix it) so the Ransomware module was able to screw it up.

My computer has Win 10 and hasn't had any problems. I just updated both our desktops from Bitdefender 2015 to 2016. It took about two days for it to cause the problem. I've not updated my laptop yet but I'm betting the same thing happens. As much as I love Bitdefender, their tech support stinks (the nicest word I can use on this forum).

Up until the Ransomware fix, the closest I came to getting them to stay was a layout.dll and .reg fix I found via Tomshardware site. It worked but not completely. Some moved, some didn't. Those that didn't were shuffled.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

03-06-2016 11:01 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Post your Desktop... cbramsey 21 5,266 09-07-2013 06:40 PM
Last Post: me50