Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Puzzling Sleepyhead Graph - looking for cause
Puzzling Sleepyhead Graph - looking for cause
Last night I added a few new things to my APAP routine; used a nasal strip to help widen nostrils and limit irritation from the pillows, and used a nasal spray because I was slightly congested. I thought and felt I had slept well and expected to see a low AHI on Sleepyhead this morning. Got a big surprise!

[attachment=1775]

As you can see, for about an hour I show vastly different OA events, flow rate and other indicators, which then goes away for the rest of the evening. I was totally unconscious during this time AFAIK, my wife did not mention any unusual activity during the period (although she may have been sound asleep).

Any ideas what is going on here? I am a very short-time APAP user, but this has never occurred before.

edit - I am sorry but I guess I am too knew to the forum to be able to post attachments even though it looks like I can; sleepyhead data will have to wait.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Puzzling Sleepyhead Graph - looking for cause
I used to get clumped together events like you described. Shortly after I fell asleep. Maybe an hour into sleep I would get a bunch and then little for the rest of the evening. It went away when I raised my pressure. Not saying that is your answer but I too found it weird that it was almost always an hour after I went to bed with no rhyme or reason.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Snowbird47,
You should be able to post an attachment.
Here is a "how to" link.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/misc.ph...elp&hid=19
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 10:01 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Snowbird47,
You should be able to post an attachment.
OK OpalRose I will try again.

Repost of original post hopefully with graph this time:
Last night I added a few new things to my APAP routine; used a nasal strip to help widen nostrils and limit irritation from the pillows, and used a nasal spray because I was slightly congested. I thought and felt I had slept well and expected to see a low AHI on Sleepyhead this morning. Got a big surprise!

[attachment=1776]

As you can see, for about an hour I show vastly different OA events, flow rate and other indicators, which then goes away for the rest of the evening. I was totally unconscious during this time AFAIK, my wife did not mention any unusual activity during the period (although she may have been sound asleep).

Any ideas what is going on here? I am a very short-time APAP user, but this has never occurred before.

(10-10-2015, 08:54 AM)AlanE Wrote: I used to get clumped together events like you described. Shortly after I fell asleep. Maybe an hour into sleep I would get a bunch and then little for the rest of the evening. It went away when I raised my pressure. Not saying that is your answer but I too found it weird that it was almost always an hour after I went to bed with no rhyme or reason.

Thanks, Alan - I will try raising the pressure a little. I start to get a lot of "CA" if I go much higher that 12, but I do not know if that is a real issue or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snowbird47,
The first thing I notice is the high leak rate, probably from your mask, or possible mouth breathing.
If you look at the leak rate graph, it correlates with the Obstructives on graph.

The thing is, when you experience leaks, the APAP will try to compensate and shoot the pressure up. It's hard to say if the AHI is accurate at that point.

The first thing to do is determine if you are mouth breathing, and mabye use a chin strap.
Make sure you are using the correct size nasal pillow. Try one size up.

Other than that, you can move your minimum pressure to 9, as that would help clear up Obstructives. I would leave the max pressure alone right now, unless you see on the graph that it is staying at max for a good part of time.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Snowbird47: You had to compress the image to get it under 200kB right?
It's barely legible.

Does look like big time leaks in the time frame of that clump of scored apneas.
Machine results cannot be trusted when leak rate is high. You need to tame those leaks.
Looks like you can get a seal at that pressure later in the night.
You may need the next size up pillow for the P10 mask.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't dwell on it too much, blame it on your congested nose. Try saline sinus rinse an hour or two before bedtime
Full face mask is your best friend on those occasions

Edit: some people get congested on higher humidity settings, some on lower settings, and some happy without
Matter of trial and error, might get lucky to find the sweet spot
Avoid sleeping on your back helps, try the tennis ball trick or something else prevent from rolling on your back
Post Reply Post Reply
zoom in on that area and see how the leak spikes relate to the OA's
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think, leak is the main problem, only after the fact
When your nose is congested and using nasal mask, no sufficient air passing through
You'll have to open your mouth to get some air to breathe, that results in mouth leaks
Hence the large leak during this time and none at other times
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the ideas. I suspect it was a mouth-opening problem, I did have a looser chinstrap than usual.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  How to read the Snore Graph daz2264 0 285 12-30-2023, 03:42 PM
Last Post: daz2264
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 368 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Woke up feeling absolutely awful - OSCAR graph analysis really appreciated new2paphopeful 2 696 10-03-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: stevew77
  OSCAR Graph Question Events Flags/AHI Bob Cali 3 477 09-28-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  HELP needed for OSCAR graph analysis for first time user newbieusa 15 1,037 08-29-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: newbieusa
Information [CPAP] Graph data: Need help with interpretation tententen 3 580 06-15-2023, 09:00 PM
Last Post: tententen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.