Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S8 Need to know how to get into setup
Resmed S8 Need to know how to get into setup
Ok, about 10 years ago, I had a sleep study and I was told I have sleep apena. At the time, I thought they were just trying to scam me into buying this CPAP machine and felt like I was walking into a scam or something. After leaving, I talked to people and realized sleep apnea is a real thing. Now I'm married and my wife says she notices I stop breathing frequently in the middle of the night. I also have a fitbit and can tell from my own sleep studies that I'm constantly moving and not getting restful sleep which is probably why I'm tired all the time.

But I have terrible insurance now and really can't afford to go back and have another sleep study done. My dad also has sleep apnea. He upgraded to a new CPAP and knew I needed one so he just gave me his old Resmed Escape S8. I tried it with the settings he has. He says he has it at the lowest settings but when I use it, I can't breath out with it on. I remember when I had the sleep study that when I had it on, it could breath in fine but if I opened my mouth, I would gag (forcing me to keep my mouth shut all night.)

Well, I looked up on the web trying to figure out how to adjust the settings. It appears I need to adjust the EPR settings so I can make it easier for the machine to detect I'm breathing out so it's not pushing in as I'm breathing out and basically suffocating me. But I can't figure out how to get in the settings. I've found many posts saying to hold the right and down or the left and down for about 3 seconds and it should get me into the settings. I've tried it many times. I can't get anything to show up other than the word CPAP and a couple bars no matter what buttons I push. Any ideas? Going to a doc and asking him to do it isn't an option. I can't afford it with no insurance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S8 Need to know how to get into setup
Dorlow,

You'll find the access information in the Private Area on this board, which you can find mid-way down the home page. I'd post the link, but am not sure of the rules, as the link can be seen by non-members as well.

Best regards.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 08:52 PM)WSHenry Wrote: Dorlow,

You'll find the access information in the Private Area on this board, which you can find mid-way down the home page. I'd post the link, but am not sure of the rules, as the link can be seen by non-members as well.

Best regards.

Ok, this is the first step in the private area...

ResMed S8 Compact, S8 Elite, S8 AutoSet Vantage & AutoSet Spirit: Press the right and down arrows simultaneously for about 3 seconds until the word "clinical" appears. Select Menu, then use the left and right arrows to cycle through the settings. Use the up and down arrows to make adjustments.

I've tried this so many times. I hold down the right and down arrow simultaneously for 3 seconds (or longer... tried up to 30 seconds.) It does nothing. I can't find anywhere in the instructions of when to do it. I've tried when it's "RAMPING" and after it's done. Nothing. It acts like I'm not pushing any buttons. I've also pushing the "START/STOP" button does nothing either. Really I can't find a button on it that changes the function of the machine at all. Any button or combination of buttons I push does absolutely nothing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dorlow,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post, hopefully, you can get your machine set up.
Much success to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello dorlow and welcome

The link to "CPAP Setups Manuals" found at the top of the page
Scroll to section three to ask for the manual via email
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

ResMed S8 Compact, S8 Elite, S8 AutoSet Vantage & AutoSet Spirit: Press the right and down arrows simultaneously for about 3 seconds until the word "clinical" appears. Select Menu, then use the left and right arrows to cycle through the settings. Use the up and down arrows to make adjustments. S8 setup video http://vimeo.com/19565675

As been 10 years since you had sleep study, we need a fresh study so we know what are we dealing with and what has been changed through the years. An auto pap is worth considering as sleep study is not an option right now, S8 Escape is not going to tell anything useful how the the treatment is working such as AHI, leak, etc .. other than hours using the machine

If you still has your old script or you can use your dad script to purchase an auto pap on-line
Supplier #2 sell some used and new machines at reasonable prices
Supplier List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Here is CPAP purchasing guide http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

This is worth reading "How to find the optimum pressure on your constant-pressure CPAP machine"
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dorlow,

The S8 machines have a problem with the switch contacts becoming corroded after several years of use. I'll send you a PM with links that may be helpful, if you're comfortable working with electronics.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2014, 01:51 AM)big_dave Wrote: Hi dorlow,

The S8 machines have a problem with the switch contacts becoming corroded after several years of use. I'll send you a PM with links that may be helpful, if you're comfortable working with electronics.

Hi there,

Could you send me the instructions for that as well. I've just upgraded to a 10 Auto but my old S8 Autoset Start/Stop button requires firm pressure to work and I'd like to keep it as a backup.

cheers
Geoff
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 90 45 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,675 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
Thumbsup NEW MEMBER INFO: GET YOUR OWN [secret] CPAP SETUP MANUAL SuperSleeper 1 1,938 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex
  My battery backup setup GeoffD 323 88,197 10-16-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: Hintertux
  New DreamStation 2 setup KSMatthew 7 791 08-24-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  Beefy CPAP battery setup that can be taken on a plane mitzvahtime 2 1,367 08-02-2023, 03:04 PM
Last Post: mitzvahtime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.