Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help! Keep taking my mask off while I am sleeping
Help! Keep taking my mask off while I am sleeping
I was hope someone could give me some advice. I keep taking my mask off at night while sleeping. When I wake up in the morning it's on the floor leaving me with no treatment through the night. I use a full face mask due to I have a nasal blockage and cant use a nasal mask. The strange thing is I have been using a machine and have never done this before. I did go 1 Year without the auto pap due to not being able to have it with me for that period of time. Since I started using it again I cant seem to keep the mask on. Any advice I would appreciate.
Thank you  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help! Keep taking my mask off while I am sleeping
Welcome,

We're going to need some data to go with this question. What CPAP are you using and what pressures?

You should download and create a chart with OSCAR, the free report tool.

Typically the mask removal thing is your pressures are too low and your reaction is to get the mask off to get air. When we see the data, we can base our answers on fact to help better.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you take any simple steps to try to wake yourself up when you are doing this? For example, get some bobby pins and pin the headgear to your hair? That way it will be tangled up in your hair, and will wake you up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Look in the Mirror a say "You stop taking your mask off at night. right now!!" preferable in your Mothers tone.. Cool

I like Cathys suggestion as well.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not normal to sleep with a mask on. It takes time to adapt and adjust. Be patient and stick with it. CPAP Therapy won't change your life overnight, and it's not gonna kill you if you miss some nights or portions of nights. 

For me, wearing a mask didn't bother me at all. From the 1st night, it was on all night. But, I haven't been as compliant as I would like to have been with the therapy. 

It's pretty much turned into a hit & miss proposition. I get what I can get, and that's it. If I miss a night, or three, my world won't come to an end. I'm sticking with it though, on my terms. 

I'm NOT advising my mindset for anyone. But for me, it's better than nothing at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd definitely recommend trying to make it harder to take off. Bobby pins, putting something over your hands to stop you being able to manipulate it etc. It'd definitely be interesting to see what happened right before you take it off, if you can post charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, and another thing -- if your machine has any "auto-off" feature, make sure that you disable it. If the machine is blasting air into the room it will be a lot noisier than if the mask is on your face, and hopefully that will wake you up after not too much time, too.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 628 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 180 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,088 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 995 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 284 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 319 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.