Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quality Sleep and Dehydration
Quality Sleep and Dehydration
I'm only posting this because it does pertain to improving sleep quality with CPAP. I'm 64 now, in pretty good overall health. Not taking any prescription drugs, exercise, eat healthy, 9+ hours sleep daily. But I've felt like crap over a fairly long period of time. Mostly was concerned it was a CPAP issue, and there are some in my case. Then symptoms of dry mouth, especially in the morning, grogginess, fatigued, irritability, you name it.
Just out of it. I do consume drinks that are considered dietetics, beer, lemon juice, coffee. I do drink a fair amount of purified water daily, but apparently not enough. So yesterday I drank over 2 liters of water, throughout the day. Last night got a good nights sleep, obviously better than before. I've read it's harder to stay (fully) hydrated as you age, we don't notice thirst as much. And when your in a state of fairly deep dehydration,
it's harder to get back. It's like pouring water over desert soil, it just sits there, and takes a while to soak in. Human body is much the same. It may take a few days to rehydrate. Liquids other than water won't do the trick. Feel overall like a different person today, full of p*** and vinegar!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quality Sleep and Dehydration
Thanks for the reminder Jeremy!

Do you like drinking purified water? People usually say it tastes too bland
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd rather drink something that's 'tasteless' that greatly improves how I 'feel', than drink an equal amount of soda's or sugar laden drinks or artificial sweeteners, just for 'taste' sake. IMHO, that's what's wrong with our society and food industry, it has to be 'tasty' in order for people to drink it. Our bodies are 70% water, our brains (what's left of mine) are 75-80% water.
Water is like the bodies 'oil'. And it improves sleep quality, the reason we are all here having so much fun.

I have county water supply that runs through  Culligan reverse osmosis system. It has no taste. I drink beer for taste . But I need to stay on top of STAYING hydrated. I feel soo much better when I do. Try it, you'll like it!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-22-2021, 10:26 AM)Jeremy H Wrote: I'd rather drink something that's 'tasteless' that greatly improves how I 'feel', than drink an equal amount of soda's or sugar laden drinks or artificial sweeteners, just for 'taste' sake. IMHO, that's what's wrong with our society and food industry, it has to be 'tasty' in order for people to drink it. Our bodies are 70% water, our brains (what's left of mine) are 75-80% water.
Water is like the bodies 'oil'. And it improves sleep quality, the reason we are all here having so much fun.

I have county water supply that runs through  Culligan reverse osmosis system. It has no taste. I drink beer for taste . But I need to stay on top of STAYING hydrated. I feel soo much better when I do. Try it, you'll like it!!!

Agreed!

I mostly drink pre-boiled filtered water
When you say purified water. are you referring to the Culligan reverse osmosis system?

I meant like other types of water like: spring, carbonated, distilled
Post Reply Post Reply
It may take a few days to feel better if you've been dehydrated for a while, yes, but your body is (usually) pretty good at extracting fluids it needs and preserving them (as long as you're otherwise healthy). Drinking completely deionised water isn't necessary here, tap water is fine, if not always the best tasting (in the UK) though I know in the US it depends on your water source. Your body is also pretty good at getting water from food, as well, so you don't always need your entire allowance from pure water.

I personally prefer carbonated water, or I don't drink enough. It's a no-brainer as I have to drink at least 3l a day because of medical issues, for which I need to take 3.6 grams of salt tablets every day.

You can have too much of a good thing when it comes to water - without the electrolytes to balance it out, people have died from hyponatremia (often called water intoxication). It causes your cells to swell, especially in your brain, your heart to have problems beating properly and your blood to have too little sodium (and often other electrolytes). In milder cases, it can cause similar symptoms to dehydration - headache, muscle cramps, tiredness, nausea and vomiting etc. - but in excessive cases, it can cause drowsiness, brain swelling, confusion, coma, cardiac problems and eventually death. So definitely don't go TOO overboard with drinking too much, especially over a short span of time.

Honestly, the best way to tell is to look at your pee. If it's very pale yellow or straw coloured, you're fine. If it's a darker yellow, you need more water. And if it's even darker to an orangy colour or even almost brown, then you're VERY dehydrated and if you have other symptoms (like fever, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc) and/or drinking doesn't start to lighten the colour quickly, then you should probably be getting medical advice asap. If your pee is always completely colourless, you may be drinking a little too much, especially if it means you're having to get up more at night than normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good reminder! I notice that my pee is too dark lately. I need to start drinking more.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely. It helps keeps your kidneys and bladder healthy too. UTIs and kidney/bladder stones are nobody's friend!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reminder too. I need to drink more water based on colour.

I have the other issue...need to go right now, compounded by retained fluids.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible for the body not to “absorb” the water that goes in. I used to drink very little water and recently upped my intake. Pee is straw coloured but I keep feeling thirsty. I do not have diabetes and a recent health check showed everything is fine otherwise. Could it be plain old age. I am 75. Anybody else experienced thirst that does not go away with drinking water?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you on any other medication? Some things can cause thirst or have a diuretic effect, others can cause a dry mouth aside from the feeling of thirst. 

It's easier for your body to absorb water if it has a little sugar and salt in it. This is why they sell things like "Pedialyte" or other oral rehydration solutions for helping to rehydrate you when you have a stomach upset or fever. Ideally, a drink that matches the normal balance in the body, called "isotonic", is going to be ideal, as it contains all the electrolytes you need. 

Honestly, I don't find drinking straight water that satisfying. I'm pretty sure it's just a psychological thing, because flavour seems more satisfying, but you don't HAVE to drink pure water. There ARE other disorders that can cause you to excrete more water than you should, and obviously, if you don't absorb it properly, you would have diarrhoea, with the water coming right out the other end. If it's coming out as pee, though, and your pee is a healthy colour, then you're absorbing it. But if you're still thirsty, and your pee isn't completely colourless, then have a couple more drinks. :Smile

You say you've had a recent health check, though, and if this was after your thirst started, then it's probably nothing, but if that started after your last health check, or it persists and/or is a very marked change, it's worth mentioning to your doctor again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 246 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 204 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 870 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,209 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 621 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 852 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.