Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quality Sleep and Dehydration
Wink 
RE: Quality Sleep and Dehydration
KThanks. I thought about your comment on electrolytes. Perhaps my diet is too salty. That would make me thirsty despite the light coloured pee.  I also hate to drink plain water but had forced myself to do so because I thought - after reading some newspaper magazine - that it was good for health. I’m now back to juices and even colas. It seems to help. Or maybe it’s psychosomatic and I just needed handholding!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
There may be other reasons to cut down on juice and soda - the amount of sugar is high in both, and highly caffeinated drinks can be a problem for anxiety, sleep etc - but from a purely hydrating point of view, it's a common misconception that only water counts. I tend to prefer fruit juice cut with carbonated water, just a bit to give it flavour, but yes, if you eat a lot of salt, then you need to drink a corresponding amount of fluid to balance that. This is why they have bowls of peanuts and other salty snacks in bars because all that salt encourages you to drink more. I wouldn't recommend soda over water, per se, but yeah, having the odd soda or some juice isn't going to hurt you from a dehydration point of view.
Post Reply Post Reply
Someone could make oodles of money inventing a drink that tastes like juice or sofa or wine but without the calories and the ill effects on health!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ratchick. As a young lad I delivered newspapers. There was a Coke machine on the route. In no time I was hooked. It cost 15 cents for a large bottle of coca cola. I anticipated it and needed that every day. I was 13 then...

I drink filtered water now. I have issues though. I have a prescription for high blood pressure medicine. I stopped taking it for years and years, but was busted when I broke my shoulder and went to the local hospital emergency room.

I have issues with retained fluid and emergency trips to the washroom that seem to be stress related. Every time I take my RX for blood pressure I consider stopping.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Your high blood pressure medication might be a diuretic - if so, that is going to make you pee a LOT more after you take it, so I recommend googling the drug and checking if it is. If that's a problematic side effect, there are different kinds of high blood pressure medicines, and another might be a better fit for you.

Caffeine is actually addictive - so if you (or anyone) find it hard to stop when you drink a lot of tea, coffee, colas etc, especially if you get irritable and headachy without them, you may need to just cut down a little more gradually (or just accept that those symptoms will go away after a few days and a re normal).
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to Ratchick's post. A reduction or elimination of caffeine can cause headaches. This can last up to 2 weeks. I'm not saying it will happen, just advising you that it may happen, and it's normal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
BDaveL, how did you kick the cola habit or did you just grow out it?
Post Reply Post Reply
BobbieM--I simply resolved to stop drinking it. I didn't need it. I didn't substitute anything. However, it took real resolve to quit.

I have substituted tea for coffee successfully. Then somehow years later started drinking both. I drink both now.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Ha, Red, I thought I mentioned headaches, they're the worst!

I quit my caffeine habit years ago, not so much because of the caffeine but because the drinks that tended to contain caffeine exacerbated some of my health issues. And now, I have a neurological issue that absolutely is sensitive to caffeine, and that really annoys me because I used to be one of those people who never got jittery off coffee and it never kept me awake, etc. Now I just have to look at it and my heart rate skyrockets up to 150-200bpm so no coffee for me.

Shame, maybe if I had coffee at bedtime it might keep my brain working while I sleep and cure my CSA? LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
150-200 bpm would be a real shock.

Can you drink holistic tea?
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 248 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 871 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,209 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 852 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.