Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quality Sleep and Dehydration
RE: Quality Sleep and Dehydration
In the Marine Corps, they used to say that if your pee is dark you had to stay outside and drink more -- and if your pee is light you could go inside and get out of the heat. Just sayin'.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm trying to figure out what the inside/outside would have to do with it... especially if the inside was cooler? If you were already dehydrated, the last thing you need is to be out in the sun. Big Grin

Dave, I try to stick to fruit tisanes (and the occasional decaf tea). Or just water with a little juice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah BUT soda's DEHYDRATE YOU!!!! They do not hydrate. Sure, if your a total taste junky, like most Americans (who  are mostly obese from sugary drinks) in part, your missing the point. Soda's are junk food/drinks, filled with all kinds of chemicals that are toxic to your body, making it MORE difficult to get a quality nights sleep. What I do is chug a liter of water, over a few hours. You'll feel the difference. These are secondary practices that add up to help with improving your sleep quality, and overall health.
Post Reply Post Reply
The odd soda in an otherwise balanced and healthy diet is not the end of the world. And chugging a litre of water in a short amount of time is not necessary. Drink when you're thirsty, make sure your pee isn't too dark and you're good to go. Also, soda, by default, doesn't automatically dehydrate you. Not even slightly. Sugar has a minor effect on slowing hydration, but nothing huge. Caffeine has other issues, but drinking a caffeinated drink doesn't make you lose more fluid than you take in, not by a long shot. It just means it hydrates you less than the same volume of a non-caffeinated drink. And artificial sweeteners have zero effect on hydration. So go ahead and drink as much Coke Zero as you like - it's absolutely not going to dehydrate you. Hell, go ahead and drink the odd full-sugar Coke, too - because everything in moderation is okay, including the soda.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everything in moderation, including moderation. Wink
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Many years ago I gave up on diet sodas. When eating out it is now either water (which is free) or unsweetened ice tea during the day. I still drink a lot of coffee with nothing in it. I may have an occasional soda if there is nothing else. I have always been a big coffee drinker and once had a flight doc tell me they found blood in my caffeine stream.

Most nights, I don't have to get up to go to the bathroom, and if I do, it may be once.

I disagree on the drink if you are thirsty - living in the desert it is drink on a regular basis before you become thirsty. Always told in my aircrew survival classes that thirst is a sign of dehydration.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2021, 01:02 PM)DaveL Wrote: Everything in moderation, including moderation. Wink

Exactly!  Big Grin

(05-31-2021, 02:16 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: I disagree on the drink if you are thirsty - living in the desert it is drink on a regular basis before you become thirsty. Always told in my aircrew survival classes that thirst is a sign of dehydration.

Absolutely true, if you're losing a lot of water (either from heat/sweating, fever, vomiting, diarrhoea etc) then you need to preempt it - far better to prevent than cure dehydration. But I didn't say to only drink when you are thirsty, and I also said to drink when you're thirsty in addition to keeping an eye on your hydration level. For most people, that's good enough. But yes, if you know you need to drink a certain amount to keep at a healthy hydration level, then that's a different matter, and especially if you live in a very hot environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Up to three-fourths of Americans drink well below the recommended levels. According to the Institute of Medicine, men are advised to drink 13 ounces of fluid, while women require nine ounces per day.

Over time, chronic dehydration can lead to many complications, such as fatigue, joint pain, headaches, ulcers and high blood pressure.

If the human body is a machine, then water is the oil that keeps it running. The body is made up of 60 percent water, so staying hydrated can help muscles work more efficiently. It can also help your kidneys and liver function and ensures that nutrients get digested. Proper hydration is also great for the general health of your hair, skin and immune system. It’s one of the simplest, most straightforward treatments for many common ailments.

Although there are basic recommendations for how much fluid to drink, the amount of water each person needs varies depending on climate and exercise intensity. The more you sweat, the more you need to drink — for every pound of sweat lost, rehydrate by drinking at least a pint of water.

Many people think that if they feel weak, tired or suffer from headaches they need to eat. More likely, water is the solution — and remember, if you’re thirsty, your body is already complaining. You’re already dehydrated.

All I am saying is "I" feel better when hydrated, when dehydrated, I'm very edgy and easily agitated (especially while driving)! It feels good to drink a lot of water. I didn't mean to say I drink that liter all at once, it's over a few hours, but take big gulps (chug) to get as much into me at 1 time.
Post Reply Post Reply
13oz is 370mls or less than two glasses of fluids. 9oz is 256mls or just over one glass. So that figure sounds a little low for total daily fluid requirement, even taking into account that 20% of your need comes from food, and the rest can be made up of any beverage.

Feeling thirsty is not a sign that you're already dehydrated, contrary to popular belief. We managed to survive this long based on recognising thirst and drinking, but you're correct that waiting until you're viciously thirsty or you have a headache or feel nauseated or dizzy, that's definitely a sign of being dehydrated. You're right, some people struggle with interception and recognising whether they are hungry or thirsty (and this can worsen as they get older), but they're also likely to be showing other signs of dehydration if that's a chronic problem.

Generally speaking, it's better to sip water regularly rather than chug it, but at the end of the day, everyone can choose to drink what they feel is necessary for them, and the manner they think appropriate, based on their diet, their age, their health, their medication, their environment and so on. If drinking that much helps, then go for it - I myself have to drink an unholy amount, because of my other health issues and to balance the salt tablets I have to take (and yet still have borderline blood pressure when I am upright). But MY anatomy is anything but typical. LOL

This article gives an excellent, in-depth report about come of the common misconceptions, and how much you lose in various ways, how much different people need, etc. But the overall consensus is to let your thirst guide you unless you're in extreme conditions or sick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah but I don't want to wait until I'm sick before re-hydrating, and certainly don't think it's a good idea to drink soda's of any kind, just for taste sake, thinking it has the same benefit as pure water does. If anything, your liver and kidneys have to work harder to filter out all the chemical garbage that's in pepsi, coke, mountain dew (my favorite) etc. Those drinks poison your body and are not healthy. There is a sugary drink, obesity epidemic in this country, everyone's fat, waddling along like ducks. Layers of blubber sloshing  from side to side, it's an addiction, and killing people.
It's incorrect to think that a coke or pepsi is enough to healthfully keep your body hydrated and working a peak performance. It's simply not true.
BTW, it's now understood that soft drinks are as bad for your liver as alcohol.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 164 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 251 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Poor sleep quality and how it affects you p123 6 875 02-01-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: glenncol
  Poor sleep quality because of CA events? Hypoxic 20 1,209 12-20-2023, 08:34 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Diagnosis] Excellent AHI, poor sleep quality --> palatal prolapse? aquamike 5 853 12-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.