Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quarky68 Therapy Thread
Gross 
Quarky68 Therapy Thread
Got my ResMed Auto 11 today with ClimateLine and the f30i mask...

So tonight will be like a first date...I'm equally excited and nervous.

Excited that this thing will change things for the better and nervous that it won't!

I will of course post the OSCAR results tommorrow, all being well!

Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night nerves!
I hope you will follow the instructions given in a prior thread.  
When you have a night or two data, post a screenshot.  Start keeping your therapy charts and questions to one thread.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid445639
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a reminder that, although some users report great improvement beginning with night #1, most users find that CPAP is a journey that takes a while to produce significant results. Patience and perseverence are the keys.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP Results - night 1
Thanks all!

So followed the advice in the previous posts re settings etc for the A11.

Results are below - I clearly need to get used to the mask!! The big leak about 6:30 is where I turned over and had to adjust.

Good news is that pre therapy, my AHI was 36, no dry mouth or dry coughs in the night and spouse reported minimal snoring!

However I did find breathing out a bit of a struggle - think I need to change the EPR setting? Not sure I need to do anything else so hopng you guys can point me in the right direction.

Any help appreciated!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Question: Did your sleep study show CA's (Clear Airway Events)?
If not, then we can assume that the few on your graph will settle down in time.

Your results are pretty decent. The EPR feature should help you when exhaling against the pressure and also helps with Flow Limitation and Hypopnea. You can try EPR 3 (full time) and gauge the results for a night or two.
You may also need a slightly higher minimum pressure, but one change at a time.

Remember that comfort is what matters.

Also, watch your leak rate. Looks like some mask movement.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

Repost in a day or two.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can answer that just looking at the image, 1.25 of the 2.05 was clear airway events so roughly 61%.

But either way that doesn't really mean all that much.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My CPAP Results - night 1
Looks like you may want to adjust your mask or try a different mask (first 30 days you can switch if one type is not working for you for most insurances), not sure which style mask you are using if it isn't a full face mask that might explain all the leaks.

Either way I would leave the settings at where they are and not be changing anything, firstly anything under 5  is considered normal anyways and secondly it is unreasonable to ever expect to hit 0, and most importantly it takes a little while to be use to it, changing up your settings after only one night would be like taking Thyroid hormone replacement pills one night and then going "oh well I don't feel immediate results it must be wrong let me tweak it" where in reality it takes upwards of 6 weeks of constantly keeping a routine to know how you really feel on the Thyroid hormone levels you are taking. If you have been using it for like 4 weeks and feel like you want to tweak something that is one thing but after a single night the only settings that should be tweaked at that time is the humidity if it was too low or high that is the only setting you can know for certain if it was right or not after a single night.

After a few weeks my pre CPAP was 27, and after a few weeks about 60% have been between 9-11, 33% between 3-6, and one night where it was at 22 (the night I didn't have any caffeine all day so that is probably more related to caffeine withdrawal and not the treatment itself), So yeah just leave the settings as they are until your first follow up at which point your doctor will talk with you and will then decide if anything needs to be adjusted and if anything else can be adjusted to fit your personal preferences, but if you start tweaking stuff right away it just makes it harder for the doctor to get a baseline of what your personal needs are. There will be a time to tweak minor settings here and there to fit your personal preferences but the first several weeks the doctor needs a baseline to see how you are reacting.

EDIT: If it extremely uncomfortable to breath then you can call your doctor or supplier and ask them about it, but I know the first handful of nights it felt like sticking my head out the car window going about 40MPH, but after a handful of nights I honestly don't even notice it anymore at all it just feels natural despite the first couple of nights feeling like it was hard to properly exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Apnoea Journey
Thanks for all your help so far!!

So having used my A11 for 5 nights I have the following observations:

On the PLUS side:

1. AHI remains below 5 Shy
2. Sp02 has improved massively Big Grin
3. Getting more used to the mask (less leaks) however not quite fitting right so have a Philips fit pack and a ResMed SW cushion on the way (expensive business this, but you can't put  aprice on health!) Coffee
4. Not randomly falling asleep at my desk Cool

On the DOWN side:

1. Nights where I sleep through seem fine but if I need to go, when I get back to bed and put the mask back on, I simply can't tolerate it - it feels like I'm suffocating. So I end up taking the mask off. Here are two examples of the issue:

I'd be interested to know please if I can adjust my settings to prevent this from happening...does auto ramp not work in these scenarios?

The ONLY change I have made from the original suggested settings is EPR=3.

Any help (or general commentary on the numbers) is always appreciated!

Thanks!

J
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, an adult will experience air starvation on any pressure below 7 cm. Using the ramp feature only delays your treatment pressure. I would try turning the ramp off and see if this problem is eliminated.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: My Apnoea Journey
[quote='Quarky68' pid='447198' dateline='1654855613']

"Nights where I sleep through seem fine but if I need to go, when I get back to bed and put the mask back on, I simply can't tolerate it - it feels like I'm suffocating. So I end up taking the mask off."

This is one of the problems with using ramp, and why we suggest not to use it.  The feeling of "suffocation" is not just because you are using ramp, but ramp at a pressure of 4cm.  When you return from your break and put your mask on, the low pressure is going to cause you to feel "air starved", and you are not being treated during that ramp time.

"I'd be interested to know please if I can adjust my settings to prevent this from happening...does auto ramp not work in these scenarios?"

My feeling is that "auto ramp" works best with higher pressures, and if you're  not getting up several times and restarting therapy.
Your minimum pressure of 7 is the lowest you should use if you want the benefit of EPR.  
Move the minimum pressure to 7.4. (Small steps).  I'm not one to go along with the medical profession that a AHI under 5 is treated.  Rolleyes
I also don't chase numbers.  There is a balance and getting a good nights sleep is priority.

In order to better adapt to the pressure, try using your machine for an hour before bed sitting up watching TV or reading.  This has helped many adapt to pressure.
The other thing you'll need to work on is mask fit.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,072 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 169 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,360 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,213 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.