Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quarky68 Therapy Thread
RE: First night nerves!
Thanks again for the advice!

I'll try turning off the ramp and see how I go...mask problem should be sorted as soon as I get the others to try I hope!!

Appreciate the point about the numbers - as someone who works in sales you can imagine I tend to chase them!!!

Let's see how the next few nights go!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey all - just a quick update and a question if I may!

Good news for me is that I have at last found masks that work. ResMed f30i with SW cushion and Dreamwear L and MW cushions are working really well for me. I'm cycling through them to esyablish which works best!

Last night's numbers are below (after chasing a bat around the house just before 0300...) and as always, any commentary would be appreciated.

One question I have is, as a mouth breather, should I get a chin strap or tape my mouth shut? I no longer have dry mouth of course but it is still a bit 'furry' in the morning!

Thanks!

Post Reply Post Reply
Your chart (numbers) look pretty good.  If you start to feel "air starved", move your minimum pressure to 7 so you can get the full benefit of EPR 3.  
But if you're comfortable with where your at, then there's no real reason to make a change right now.

Many here use tape and it seems to work for them.  Your leaks aren't too bad, and just like finding the right mask, you'll have to experiment with tape and see what works best for you.

The trouble with a lot of chin straps is that it pulls the jaw back instead of up.  
One exception that some here have claimed works for them is the Knightsbridge Sleep Solutions Chinstrap Supplier #37.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Angry 
MASK RAGE!!!
Well I didn't think my APAP journey would be quite so stressful!

Been trying different masks and had a great night with a Dreamwear MW so thought this was the one for me...only to wake around 3AM with huge leaks out of the side of my mouth...so needed to change the mask to a M, half asleep...almost threw the MW across the room I was so frustrated. Of course the M was terrible, loads of leaks so ended up taking it off for the last hour or so...*sigh*.

Next night, on goes the L and a bit of strap adjusting gives me a great night with the following result:

Pretty good, huh?

HOWEVER, annoyingly, I woke with an itchy nose and refused to take my mask off as I knew it would impact on my leak stats! Rolleyes

The things we do, eh?

At least I now THINK I have things set up properly!
Post Reply Post Reply
Meh, If I end up having an itchy nose I don't take off the mask but rather just slide my finger between the mask and face to quickly itch it, the amount of leak it generates is so negligible for such a short period of time it is well worth not having an itchy nose.

For me personally I have found that my nose only really itches like the first 5-8 minutes of putting on the mask and then is fine after that so what I will do is about 5 minutes before I am ready to go to bed I will put on the mask without the hose on, get out my itchy nose before hooking up the air and then put on the hose when I have gotten the few senses of itchiness and then no problem when actually in use. But to each their own I guess. 

As far as leaking goes I have found most of the time when I have a slight leak that I notice it is often due to saliva creating a barrier between the mask and my face allowing an ever so slight leak, simply wiping off any drool that leak immediately goes away,  it isn't the moving from my back to my side causing the leak but rather just the drool causing the mask to not 100% seal when I turn from my back to my side, one quick wipe of the drool and it immediately reseals 100%.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope you can win the battle with your mask! Look at the leak rate graph... see the spikes? This is mask movement. Flatter tops indicate mouth leaks/breathing.

Overall, the leak number is low and doesn't affect your therapy. What it affects is your quality of sleep, and of course you already know that.

Don't give up, keep trying!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for the replies again!

I've been attending to the nose during the night after your comments hh so thanks for the tips on drool management XD

...have also ordered a fabric cover so hoping that might help also...

But all in all, and fingers crossed, everything is going well!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose for your comments.

Mask movement....
Mouth breathing....

I'll look at my OSCAR readout to try and see what I'm doing.

Quarky68 I have two Knightsbridge Dual Bands. I've recorded my successes and failures on the review posted on this site. I'm embarrassed. It's been the best of times and the worst of times.....and I've recorded them all.

There are two ways to put the KDB on. Put the mask on first, then add the KDB. Or KDB first then the mask. The second method is the way I used it and had extremely good results at first, then really really terrible results. Lately I've put the mask on first then the cap. And lately it works for me; I need to be very careful putting it on. And if I get up at night I'm likely to remove all my gear without thinking....then the KDB cap stays off and my treatment goes to heck in a wheelbarrow.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Just a quick question, as I am also new to my Airsense 11, my machine has a Darth Vader noise when I inhale, and I am not sure if that is normal, the noise is not loud but quite disturbing. Do you notice any sound that your machine generates? or it is just completely quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2022, 11:42 PM)cpapsg1 Wrote: Hi,

thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Just a quick question, as I am also new to my Airsense 11, my machine has a Darth Vader noise when I inhale, and I am not sure if that is normal, the noise is not loud but quite disturbing. Do you notice any sound that your machine generates? or it is just completely quiet.

A few things can cause it to be noisier than normal, if the filter at your masks connection (aka not the filter on the machine itself, but depending on the mask there is like a small Styrofoam pad where the air can vent out when you are exhaling often right in the connecting joint between the hose and the mask, obviously that varies mask to mask but still) If that Styrofoam got clogged up with saliva and mucus from your drool it will effect the air flow and can make the mask nosier than normal but that normally only effect breathing out and not in. Another reason it can be noisier than normal is if you are just breathing in heavily, like large gasps. And then obviously any obstruction with the air flow like a dirty or wet filter on the machine, dust in the fan blades, etc.

I would say that if it sounds like you are describing then something is clearly not quite right because while it isn't without some noise, it is not that noisy. I would say loud enough to know it is on but quiet enough to not be a disturbance, so there is more than likely some sort of obstruction somewhere between the pump or filters or hose or mask or a combination of all four.

Edit: Apart from the time where I had the Styrofoam pad between the mask and hose get clogged (a simple 20-30 minute soak in water and then let it air dry fixed that problem though I couldn't do that till the next day for obvious reasons), the only time I notice any noise like you are describing is when I wake up, sense something is off, then realize oh I am forgetting to breath, and then when I make a conscious effort to start breathing again accidently taking a deep gasp at first, probably because I am forcing more air through then the pump is pumping and so makes that noise because that forcing of the air puts a strain on the pump. But that is really forcing the air and not just normal levels of breathing. So while I can't say I don't know what sound you probably mean, for me it is quite clear what the cause of the machine being louder than normal is, forcing air through quicker then the pump is currently running at.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 978 31 minutes ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 841 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 256 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,367 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.