Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Quattro FX membrane blowing out problem.
Quattro FX membrane blowing out problem.
Has anyone resolved a problem with Quattro FX membrane blowing out of its channel in the frame? My wife uses the Quattro fx, which gives her excellent fit, comfort and good seal against the face. That is, a good seal until the membrane blows out during the course of the night and wakes us both! We have tried several copies and there is this same problem. I can minimize the likelihood of a blow-out by carefully washing (degreasing) the membrane and frame, after each use, but I can not prevent it from happening altogether! It seems that the solution would be to have a slightly sticky substance in the channel of the frame. Anyone have ideas what would be safe to use?

(I realize that not every Quattro FX user would have this problem, as it may depend on face configuration and sleeping position. Although the membrane is designed to balloon out, it should still stay in the frame channel for most users - or else the mask would not be so popular.)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quattro FX membrane blowing out problem.
(08-25-2012, 01:26 PM)HeadGear Wrote: It seems that the solution would be to have a slightly sticky substance in the channel of the frame. Anyone have ideas what would be safe to use?

I'd try the glue that they use to make Post-It ™ notes. You can buy the glue alone in a stick. The glue is water soluble, so it's easy to remove if it doesn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Does the problem get worse with age?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HeadGear - Nice to hear from you again
I've not had this problem with this mask but leaked like crazy and felt the lower straps putting pressure on my face. I would not use anything sticky just make sure make the cushion is inserted correctly into the frame as recommended in the user guide.
See trouble shooting (Problem/possible cause and solution)
http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...ac_eng.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2012, 02:03 PM)JJJ Wrote: The glue is water soluble, so it's easy to remove if it doesn't work.
Is that the same glue as in the 'glue sticks" for paper? Water solubility is a very good idea! I will have to see how well this product adheres to the membrane (seems to be a silicone, as well as the plastic.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2012, 02:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Does the problem get worse with age?
Yes, as my wife ages! Dielaughing Seriously, it does not matter - old mask, new mask, new membrane on old frame, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-25-2012, 03:33 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi HeadGear - Nice to hear from you again
I've not had this problem with this mask but leaked like crazy and felt the lower straps putting pressure on my face. I would not use anything sticky just make sure make the cushion is inserted correctly into the frame as recommended in the user guide.
Hi zonk! Still kicking, I presume! Dancing Thanks for replying and, as always, thorough research! However, the membrane is correctly installed - just doesn't stay that way!

Except for the blowing out at the frame, this mask is actually the best fit of any of the 1/2 dozen my wife tried! I'm sure that in desperation, the odd user might have tried to use silicone sealant to keep the membrane in place! Thinking-about On the other hand, if there is a "healthy" glue, I'm determined to find it. This should not be a permanent bond, but just augment the friction fit of the membrane in the channel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would chime in anyways.
I take a rubber band and loop it around the frame, and then I catch the little tab on the top of the cushion with it so that the cushion is pulled into the channel. It keeps the cushion in the channel very well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried taking the whole mask apart and inspecting the clear plastic frame with a magnifying glass?
Look for hairline cracks.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi MyronW,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Thanks for chiming in on this thread with your tip.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,326 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,460 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 549 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 390 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.