Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Query on higher pressure
Query on higher pressure
I'm currently set at 7.5 to 12.

My 95% is listed as: 9.4 (mean value over all days as specified by software).

I'd like to experiment with higher min pressure. E.g. 8 or 9.

I noticed some of you are on even higher pressures. What benefits do you see from that? My AHI is fine at the moment and I plan to increase slowly (by halves) as I tend to feel better with higher pressure.

I am facing two issues with trying that out:

First: The software does not indicate central apneas. I get all the other info though that you might expect, including the various graphs. Is there a way to find out if I experience central apneas by looking at the graphs? Don't worry if you don't know the Breas software. If you could explain it from the graphs you use (i.e. shape and type of graph) I can work it out in my case. I just don't know what to look for.

Second: I experience mouth breathing despite using masking tape (that comes off easily when I gasp for air). I'm determined to make it work and got rid of a moustache to deal with more leaks, so hope this will fix the problem. I imagine that higher pressure might increase the mouth leakage problem? I.e. I may need to switch to a full facial mask? I use a chin strap and masking tape. The problem came about at 7.5 min pressure.

Before APAP: [Image: DARTH-VADER_zpsa57946df.png]

After APAP: See avatar: R2D2 for the win!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle"
--Ian Maclaren

I don't snore! I just make creepy noises so the aliens know I'm not someone to be messed with.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Query on higher pressure
(07-15-2014, 03:40 PM)Visitor Wrote: I'm currently set at 7.5 to 12.

I noticed some of you are on even higher pressures. What benefits do you see from that? My AHI is fine at the moment and I plan to increase slowly (by halves) as I tend to feel better with higher pressure.

the benefits of higher pressures are reduced apneas for those that *need* higher pressures.

no one number works for everybody, or there wouldn't be so many different machines, with such a wide variety of setting options.
my pressure's currently varying between 9 and 20, depending.

your 95% means it's at, or below that 95% of the time.

and, 8 isn't much change from 7.5.
Post Reply Post Reply

I am facing two issues with trying that out:

First: The software does not indicate central apneas. I get all the other info though that you might expect, including the various graphs. Is there a way to find out if I experience central apneas by looking at the graphs? Don't worry if you don't know the Breas software. If you could explain it from the graphs you use (i.e. shape and type of graph) I can work it out in my case. I just don't know what to look for.
The thing is: A central apnea and an obstructive apnea look very much a like when you look at the graphs. The machines that detect CAs and OAs use proprietary algorithms for determining the patency of the airway: If the algorithm's test indicates there is a high probability that the airway is clear (NOT blocked or NOT obstructed), the machine scores a CA. If the algorithm's test indicates that there is a high probability that the airway IS obstructed (blocked), the machine scores an OA.

Long chains of pressure induced centrals, however, do tend to have a certain pattern to them: There is typically a waxing/waning pattern of breathing between the apneas, and the pattern tends to repeat pretty regularly every 60-120 seconds.

Quote:Second: I experience mouth breathing despite using masking tape (that comes off easily when I gasp for air). I'm determined to make it work and got rid of a moustache to deal with more leaks, so hope this will fix the problem. I imagine that higher pressure might increase the mouth leakage problem? I.e. I may need to switch to a full facial mask? I use a chin strap and masking tape. The problem came about at 7.5 min pressure.
Yes, a higher median pressure is likely to increase problems with mouth leaking.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your AHI doing these days Visitor?

Since your 95% is at 9.4, increasing the minimum to 8 or 8.5 would probably not be much of a difference, but when you say you feel better at higher pressure, what do you base that on?

As to increasing your leak rates; maybe, but I don't think the pressures being considered are a real problem for you as far as the P10 is concerned. I run as high as 14 and as long as I use my chinstrap I don't have any particular problem. Certainly much less of a problem than I had with a full face mask. Apparently you're not using a chinstrap but you might think about doing that. I personally don't think you should tape your mouth shut unless you're being repainted, but that's just me.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 03:40 PM)Visitor Wrote: I experience mouth breathing despite using masking tape (that comes off easily when I gasp for air). I'm determined to make it work and got rid of a moustache to deal with more leaks, so hope this will fix the problem. I imagine that higher pressure might increase the mouth leakage problem? I.e. I may need to switch to a full facial mask? I use a chin strap and masking tape. The problem came about at 7.5 min pressure.

It seems a sleeper using nasal pillows will suffer from therapy air exhausting via their mouth.
As do you, I taped my mouth with 50mm Micropore surgical tape and did so for 6 years. However APAP pressure rises will dislodge the tape allowing air to escape. It goes without saying, increased pressure will do the same. The air flow will dry the tape & it will re-attach, giving the impression it's been in place all night. My solution was to apply the tape like this:- Click here
It's understood that too high a pressure can trigger central apneas so best to stay with your Rx pressure or consult your sleep doc before changing your max pressure setting.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 03:40 PM)Visitor Wrote: My AHI is fine at the moment and I plan to increase slowly (by halves) as I tend to feel better with higher pressure.

In what way do you feel better?

Quote:I use a chin strap and masking tape.

I'm not a fan of tape. Is the chin strap tight enough?

How do you know you're mouth-leaking? Do you see significant periods of large leak on the graph? Do you wake up with air hissing out of your mouth?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2014, 03:40 PM)Visitor Wrote: I'd like to experiment with higher min pressure. E.g. 8 or 9.
Do you have permission from your doctor ... unsupervised, you can hurt yourself Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply

My apnea is totally controlled with a maximum pressure of around 12.6 (typical nights AHI .2 to .6). However, my machine seems to think the maximum pressure should be higher because my 95% number always equals my maximum pressure number, so I've been experimenting by raising the upper limit until my 95% value is always below it. For me, that's a setting of 14.

However, at the higher pressure my AHI goes up to over 1 and I have more leaks. Now I know that AHI is not bad, but it's odd that my machine thinks my pressure needs to be higher even though that results in more apneas.

I'm going to stick with it for a few days, but unless something changes I see no reason to keep my pressure so high.
Post Reply Post Reply
look for snores and flow limitations, the autoset will bump pressure on those, because that indicates there may be apneas on the way.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2014, 06:57 PM)mdh235 Wrote: My apnea is totally controlled with a maximum pressure of around 12.6 (typical nights AHI .2 to .6). However, my machine seems to think the maximum pressure should be higher because my 95% number always equals my maximum pressure number,

I don't understand. To me all this means is that you're spending 5% of the time at your maximum pressure, and that's successfully treating your apneas and hypopneas.

Is there an issue with your sleep quality? Like are you waking frequently or feeling tired during the day?

Quote:so I've been experimenting by raising the upper limit until my 95% value is always below it. For me, that's a setting of 14.

However, at the higher pressure my AHI goes up to over 1 and I have more leaks. Now I know that AHI is not bad, but it's odd that my machine thinks my pressure needs to be higher even though that results in more apneas.

The difference 0.6 and 1.0 is not significant, especially with just a few days of data. Is it your CA index that's gone up?

And when you say the leaks are worse what do you mean? Do you have large leaks that have gotten worse, or have you gone from acceptable leaks to large leaks?

And do these leaks wake you up?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 107 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,432 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] A new ResMed AirSense 10 fails to do Smart Stop when at higher altitude. mountaincat 6 540 01-28-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: mountaincat
Sad Higher AHI after Covid Recovery - Oscar Data amfar33 3 355 01-12-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie here - do I need higher pressure or BIPAP? her.suit 0 297 12-29-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 569 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.