Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Query on mask leakage
Query on mask leakage
Does it really matter how high the leakage rate is ( also red face graphic) as long as the AHI rates are good ??

Have used the Resmed Airsense 10 for four years with nasal pillows . Bought a new mask and hose, looks the same as old one but giving high leak rates.

Also use a Swift nasal mask from time to time - seems to work better with a sinsus causing blocked nostril - cannot use the pillows at all in this case.

General problems across the board with high leak rates - around 30l - used to be around 14 for years

Hence my query - does the leak rate really matter as long as AHIs are low - 0.5 - 1.0 with zero or low central AHI

Hope this all makes sense - my first post.

RonL
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Query on mask leakage
As long as the rate of leakage remains below the “large” rating, your machine’s ability to treat you will be acceptable. Red faces are indications that your effective treatment may have been compromised. Even if stated AHI is below 5.0, high leaks, if indicated, will have a deleterious effect, even if all they do is to arouse you repeatedly. You can have an indicated AHI of 0.0 if you lie awake the entire night. You can see that this is far from ideal.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem is when large leaks remain high, the machine may not be tracking events as it should and may not be reporting accurately. The possibility exists that if the leak rate is high enough, your therapy is off the rails.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thanks for - well explained ?

RonL
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again. Both those replies make sense.

I bought a brand new Resmed pillows mask on eBay in Australia for around $120 AU and it all looks the same as my old one. BUT, the leakage rate is bad. When I use the old one it is ok again ? Using a Medium size nose piece.

Does anyone else find that they can use the Nasal type mask with a blocked nostril ( sinus problem) but the pillows type is really impossible?

RonL
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the P10 Pillows, when badly congested it takes about 5 minutes of trying hard for me to let the pressure break through. Give it ten minytes for variability. It has NEVER failed me, even though I frequently think that it will not work this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2019, 10:21 PM)RonL Wrote: Does anyone else find that they can use the Nasal type mask with a blocked nostril ( sinus problem) but the pillows type is really impossible?
RonL

For myself, just the opposite. The nasal pillow mask will unblock any sinus congestion I may have, but as bonjour states, it may take a few minutes.

When I first start my machine, I have to relax and concentrate on my breathing and not feel like I have to suck air. It may feel like you are suffocating, but your not. Smile It takes about 5 minutes or so for that feeling to subside, then I can breathe better.

Some of us have found that switching to a larger size pillow than what you think you need will work far better. If you use a Medium pillow, try a large. You may be surprised.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally traced down the leak problem. Several cracks close together in the Climate line hose ! Around four years old so I suppose that is about the life span .

RonL
Post Reply Post Reply
These hoses aren’t made to last that long. (I know, some use their hoses for years).

If you have insurance coverage, take advantage of their replacement policy, usually every 6 months.
And if you don’t have insurance, at least shop around for a good price and keep a backup hose handy.

Either way, glad you found the leak. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see plumbers and gas fitters using water with a little soap in it. Brushing it over joints and pipe looking for leaks. Simple. Easy. Smile
That would work on hoses too.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 103 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Massive leakage with new P30i unlockingsleep 2 255 02-25-2024, 03:14 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  Why do I need to get my flow limitation and leakage down? Kathy14225 12 1,427 09-30-2023, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Mask 'Pulsing/Jumping' - Plus leakage issues Jake B 4 3,198 09-21-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: HULK
  Resmed Airfit F30 Mask Leakage jerrydaw 28 7,559 09-20-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: car54
  N30i leakage alvaro212 11 1,841 07-23-2023, 04:22 AM
Last Post: BAZZA
Question [Diagnosis] Central Apnea associated with mask leakage? wdfarmer 9 1,943 07-14-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: Cam12

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.