Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question About A Flex
Question About A Flex
As you can see under avatar the machine I have. I can not make the air pressure change according to what directions I read. I can't get in. It does say A Flex Disabled; I thought that meant I do not have it set on auto titrating which has a pressure of 7-14. I called the girl in the office that supplies and gives you your machine after the sleep study. Helen said A flex is just something they added to the machine that doesn't do much and mine is not on. Said auto is and told me the range. Last night I used my other machine I can change pressure on. The Res Med I think was set at 8 settling and can go up to 16 where I set it. I woke and peeked over and it was at 15 but I had been awake a few minutes before I thought to look.

What is A Flex and should I ask for it? I have an appt to take my machine in Monday at 1PM to request they doctor change my range and bump it up to 16 and settling feels good at 8 but 7 and a half would be ok too. Helen uses terms I don't understand some word that mine is set on but basically auto. I told them I borrowed a machine and the just waking up was 16 and I need to change my pressure.I have to see doctor for that. I must say, Respironics is hard to read window and when I pug in and press button on at the same time I do not get into anything I can change. They are so protective and the girl who makes appts, or the one who replaces supplies and is on the sleep study staff are very protective and closed-mouthed, not willing to provide much if any information or opinions. Says not allowed, I must talk to doctor about that. So, what is A Flex and is it a good thing? If it helps breathing out, or anything that helps, I want it. BTW, she said not to go to those forums. LOL I can guess why. I also can't figure out how she can know my pressure so fast. She must type my name into her computer very fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question About A Flex
Yeah, don't come to these forums to try and take control over your health and your life. Leave it all in their hands and they will decide what is best for you! I think Miss Crabby Pants Helen needs a nap! I swear it is this type of neanderthal thinking that has prevented healing and promoted managing symptoms in all areas of healthcare. Grrrr. Okay, I'm done....where'd I put that horse whip?....Hmmmm....
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
x-Flex is Respironics version of exhalation pressure relief.
A-Flex is for the autoPAP
B-Flex is for the BiPAP
C-Flex is for the CPAP

All it does is lessen the air when you breathe out. Or increases the air when you breathe in. I can't remember which way it goes. It is a comfort feature only. Some have found that these exhale relief gizmos cause more apnea events. Some, like me, didn't notice a difference (But I use Resmed's version which is EPR).

Go to the Clinician manual page and read how to obtain the clinician manual of your machine. Be sure to read the warning bit and the how to change it bit of that page. When you get the manual (a pdf file), read through it and familiarize yourself with how everything works, including changing your own pressure.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Once you are comfortable with how the machine works, download Sleepyhead which I *think* works with your machine. Through this, you can view the data from your machine. There is a Respironics software but I'm not sure how to get it.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula is right on the money there and exhalation relief is one of the greatest advancements in apnea treatment as far as I am concerned. And it is not turned on "because you don't need it"? That's the biggest crock of horse puckey that I have ever heard. Educate yourself thoroughly. Advocate for yourself relentlessly. And the next time you meet this idiot ask to speak to someone that knows what they are talking about. And I would use just those words.

If you are using a ResMed mask that uses inflatable cusions and breathe out, you increase the pressure in the mask significantly and are likely to case the seal between your face and the mask cushions to break.... face farts. Exhalation relief (as ResMed calls it... EPR) serves to reduce the pressure you feel that you are breathing out against as well as reducing the sudden increase in pressure inside the mask that causes seal leaks.

This person needs to find another line of work. Quickly. I would even be tempted to go up the ladder as high as I can and make a statement about this. This person is dangerous.

And do not be afraid to adjust and titrate your own pressures; it is what put me on track. Educate. Advocate.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
SleepingBeauty...Your machine has a patient comfort feature that is call the Flex..the name changes with the PAP mode that you are using, such as in CPAP mode, (its called C-flex) and in APAP mode, which you are using, its called (A-flex)..

It is a "patient comfort setting" that reduces the pressure a notch or two on exhaleration to help you breath easier, if you need it. I don;t use it because it causes my periodic breathing number to rise and I didn;t like the feeling of it anyway. It felt like the machine was trying to breath for me.

At any rate, unless your Doctor has specifically prescribed for it to be "disabled for your therapy"...it should be "enabled", as entended by the manufacturer for the use of the patient. Once you get it "enabled" ..Turn the knob to the right (one click) to highlight the FLEX feature, and change it to your liking..

Your Respronics machine has three modes of exhaleration relief that you can choose from. You should have access to this "comfort" feature and then you can fiddle with it in each mode to see if any of them help with your comfort.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I knew I would find the answers and truth here. I will again seek to find the hidden Respironics secrets. But Monday I am going to insist on having A Flex and a higher 7 to 7 and a half or 8 settling and up to 16 pressure. I can do it on the ResMed but not the newer Respironics. So for now I am back to my ResMed My pillows and headgear are Swift Lt for her. Of course they work on Respironics too. I think , as for Helen, her company dictates what she says and does. I was thinking, my mother had an in home oxygen machine you plug into the wall. You could change the amount of oxygen easily all by your little selfie, but c-pap? Oh noooooo.

Afterthought: I have the RIGHT to experince the A flex and see if I prefer it. It is after alllll......MY machine! It either came that way or Helen changed it to diable. I doubt the doctor had much to do with it. They never recommend this auto-pap you have to fight for one. Most never even know there is such a thing let alone Aflex, etc. They see the doctor, have a sleep study, get the machine "They" give out and that is that. Forum readers are PITAS to them.

" Oh no, its, her again with something she read on that forum".
Post Reply Post Reply
Try the Flex demo to feel the difference of each setting
Post Reply Post Reply
I DID IT, I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF! Thanks soooo much. I turned on the A Flex to 2 and the pressure upped to 16 from 14 and start ramp from 7 to 7.5. Can't wait to try it out tonight with the A flex. I might like that. If not, I know now how to disable it. Now to cancel Mondays' appt.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2012, 05:04 PM)Sleeping Beauty Turquoise Wrote: I DID IT, I DID IT ALL BY MYSELF! Thanks soooo much. I turned on the A Flex to 2 and the pressure upped to 16 from 14 and start ramp from 7 to 7.5. Can't wait to try it out tonight with the A flex. I might like that. If not, I know now how to disable it. Now to cancel Mondays' appt.

When you have A-Flex set to 2, all it does is lower the pressure by 2 when you exhale. It has no effect on any other settings.

Do you have the machine in CPAP mode or in APAP mode. If the doctor prescribed APAP mode with a range of 7 to 14, and you have it in CPAP mode at a pressure of 16, that is not good!

If you are going to be changing the pressure, I recommend you get the free SleepyHead software so you can monitor your therapy. If you raise the pressure too high you can induce clear-airway apneas, making your condition worse.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my Res Med last night and when I woke I peeked over to see the pressure and it was 15, so I changed it to 16 because if it can be 15 awake it might go up to 16 asleep. Is that bad logic? I weighed less when the other machine was set at 14 for highest.It is set on auto titrating so I thought if I don 't need 16 it won't go that high. I changed settling from 7 to 7.5 because it feels a little too low to start. I also tried the A flex at 2, I found the white non washable filter made me hear my breathing in and out so I changed filter to the spongey, one and it is quiet now. BTW today I had energy and did not nap and got a lot of errand done easily. whooopeeeee. My humidifier I use on 4 or five. I did not notice any difference when trying A flex awake for a few minutes. but maybe tonight I will.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  (Dreamstation) Flex algorithm is out of sync with my breathing skim 12 2,875 02-28-2022, 08:18 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Respironics PR System One 60 Series REMstar Auto with A-flex aavenger 6 1,318 11-12-2021, 06:03 AM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 821 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Equipment] Help solving power issue (REMstar Auto A-Flex cycling off/on during use)) RhythmMachine 2 854 07-13-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: RhythmMachine
  Noise from Remstar Auto A-flex Greg Schultz 2 828 05-15-2021, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Greg Schultz
  Respironics remstar Pro c-flex system one card won't download staduimjunkie 7 2,337 01-25-2021, 04:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  [Pressure] C-Flex , C-Flex+ or A-Flex lobo405 7 3,103 12-23-2020, 04:34 AM
Last Post: lobo405

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.