Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question About Back Sleeping
Question About Back Sleeping
Hello,

I have never in my life been able to sleep on my back even when I was very skinny or as a kid. I would always stop breathing and jolt up just before falling asleep or I would roll over on to my side just before falling asleep. I thought with CPAP I would be able to sleep on my back, but 9 months in to treatment I still have those issues. I sleep wonderfully on my side with my F20 and AHI is near 0 every night, but still can't do the back. Does anyone else have this issue? Is it even sleep apnea if its technically happening before I actually fall asleep? I have my starting pressure set to 9, and it rarely goes over 13 throughout the night. I always worry about this if I were to ever need to stay in the hospital or have surgery for something.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question About Back Sleeping
I, too, experience this.  A person's anatomy structure plays a big part in breathing while on your back.  As we sleep, muscles relax and gravity takes over.  When you have this type of obstructed airway, there isn't enough air pressure available to overcome it. You can reduce it to some degree by elevating your upper body. This will direct the gravity diagonally to the airway and not perpendicular, thus reducing its effects.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question About Back Sleeping
I sleep almost entirely on my back every night. I know left-side sleeping is the most recommended position for anatomical reasons, but I have issues with my shoulder and knee if I try and stay there for any length of time.

I suppose my pressure settings are tuned perfectly because my average AHI is about .8 or less...even with 98% supine sleeping. I do have an adjustable bed, so that may play into it too. The key thing is comfort and eliminating arousals. If you are more comfortable on your back, try and tweak your pressure or slightly elevate your torso. 

I read an article saying that supine sleeping was better for your body anyway. It claims that your weight is more evenly distributed and puts less pressure on your organs...especially your lungs. So, the bottom line is whatever position is most comfortable.  Dont-know
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 7 69 1 hour ago
Last Post: biboombap
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 173 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Glad to Have a Back-up, RM 11 Sent Back for Repair somewherein413 4 151 04-04-2024, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 639 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 203 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,418 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,095 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.