Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question About EPR with COPD
RE: Question About EPR with COPD
Welcome 

I'm in agreement with others saying leave well enough alone.

FWIW I've got COPD too. According to Disability judge, doctors report I've got severe COPD due to the impact on inability to work. And note that I've got Mixed Apnea using an ASV machine, so my settings don't exactly line-up with most of the general apnea population. Dave just had to be different.

If you feel OK with current settings you should be fine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dave.
I think I'll leave well enough alone.

I can see you certainly have a lot on your "plate". 
I wish you good luck and good breathing.
Take care friend.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Upsman. Chart looks great and no changes are needed. With consideration to COPD, and higher EPR might allow the CPAP to do just a bit more of the effort of respiration for you. As EPR is increased, the difference between inhale and exhale pressure increases. This is like a limited bilevel in some ways.

Your treatment is great, but I would not hesitate to turn EPR up to 3 and see if it is more restful or not. At your current minimum pressure of 7, your bilevel pressures are 7/5. If you increase the EPR to 3, then your pressure will be 7/4.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that info, Sleeprider.

I think I might give that minor adjustment a try. Doesn't seem like it would hurt anything. What would you suggest? A couple of weeks at this setting  to notice a difference?
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Upman, it's really simple. EPR makes breathing easier by relieving exhale pressure. Higher settings yield more relief. With COPD that can make a big difference in comfort. As you try it, observe any changes in event rates. Right now, you have essentially nothing going on, so a 1-cm relief in exhale pressure on an auto CPAP is not likely to change that, however if you find you are having more obstructive event, then the minimum pressure may need to increased by 1.0 to compensate. If you are having more CA events, then you may be sensitive to the pressure changes, and can easily revert to EPR 2 after giving 3 a fair shot for a week or so.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question COPD & Sleep Apnea - looking for info Hydrangea 2 574 08-01-2022, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What is the best machine today for both COPD and Sleep Apnea? BrainFog 6 1,528 02-09-2021, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does CPap improve asthma and copd? Solar Rays 11 2,791 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Resmed S9 VPAP with COPD support for Mom silversnore 2 1,157 04-17-2018, 05:22 PM
Last Post: silversnore
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,422 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  [Equipment] OSA, then COPD, then Bradycardia, and now add hypoxemia ShaunBlake 9 2,455 02-20-2018, 09:44 PM
Last Post: ajack
  COPD with OSA and obtaining CPAP machine silversnore 9 1,663 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Last Post: silversnore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.