Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any solution to silicone irritation?
Any solution to silicone irritation?
So I've had sleep apnea for a few years now. I posted on the reddit forum about it and someone suggested I come here and I finally decided to make an account and look around.

I started out with a resmed f10 mask. It was fine, except that I would always have a red outline where it pressed against my skin. I saw the f20 with the foam and gave it a shot and really liked it so that became my main mask.

I decided a couple of months ago that I wanted to try a nasal mask to see if it was more comfortable or would work better/the same. So I actually put it on my Christmas list and my wife bought me the stuff I needed for it. I got an airfit n20 and I ended up liking it. I did open my mouth sometimes while sleeping, so I bought a jaw strap thing and that seemed to help. It was much more comfortable and I didn't feel like I was suffocating (sometimes the full mask with the hot air makes me feel like I'm suffocating. I've woken up gasping for air and had to rip it off). I feel like with the jaw thing helping keep my mouth closed, I wasn't snoring as much (I do still wake up feeling like I've been snoring with a scratchy throat that goes away after maybe 30 mins of being awake).

The problem is, the silicone from the thing leaves the same darn marks and for some reason it leaves a really pressed in bit of skin on the top of my nose. It doesn't feel super tight, but it leaves an indent.

I went back to the f20 for now and it's fine - but I really want to make the nasal mask work because it was far more comfortable even with the jaw strap and I felt better waking up with it (I can't wear the strap with the full mask it's too bulky and uncomfortable). Are there some tricks people have to not get a red face from the silicone? Is there a foam nasal mask I'm missing out on? I shop on Amazon and I prefer to stick with Resmed and I couldn't find any sort of nasal mask with foam on it :\

Anyway - just wanted to come and see what sort of ideas I could get. I've been reading around a bit and seems like people are pretty well versed around here! I don't really track my data but I saw lots of people posting and analyzing stuff; I tried the Oscar thing once and none of it made any sense to me and I haven't touched it since; too confusing for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any solution to silicone irritation?
I would suggest you try the Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows. It is the lightest, most minimal nasal interface available, and very easy to use and maintain a good seal, even for active sleepers.  The Resmed N30 nasal mask is very similar, but uses a cushion that fits under the nose and just up along the side, and does not have the stabilizing openings that fit slightly into the nose that the P10 uses.  Note the P10 does not insert into the nose, it rests under the nares.  My wife and I both use it in different sizes. We have tried the N30, but found it leaked more. Both of these fit under the nose and won't leave marks alongside or on the bridge of your nose.

N30 nasal cushion:
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2F2bibll1k09c33zyz7t1jnmm...f=1&nofb=1]
Airfit P10 cushion:

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3...%3DApi&f=1]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm about 20 days into a 30-day trial with a CPAP machine.
A few days ago, the skin on my face started to turn bright red.  The irritated area matched the points where my Philips Dreamware nasal mask touches my skin.

I asked my sleep clinic about this. They advised that in my case, the silicone was not causing skin irritation. Instead, the type of soap I was cleaning the mask with was the culprit. (Palmolive Soft Touch Dish Washing soap).

The clinic suggested I wash my face and the mask with Softsoap®.
I made the switch, and my skin irritation disappeared.

Good luck,

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the n20 quite a bit. I make my own mask liners with a square piece of an old t-shirt shirt with a hole in the center for the nostrils. Say 3 or 4 inches square. This might relieve the pressure enough to eliminate your problem.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Diagnosis] Sleep Study and no solution? CChelios445 3 247 03-03-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg
  Nose/Nosering Irritation Braven05 8 624 12-18-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  My suggestion for help with nasal pillow irritation rebean 3 662 12-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Nose irritation with nasal pillows (p10) Jobaaayyy 10 986 10-24-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Jobaaayyy
  Solution for the AirMini Travel Noise JimIve 33 27,088 10-17-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: tj1616

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.