Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question About Flow Limitations
Question About Flow Limitations
I've been wondering how the importance of flow limitations is determined. Is it the frequency, or the duration, or both? 
Looking at this recent OSCAR data, do I have anything to be concerned about with my flow limitations. 

Note that I do have COPD and every night my apnea is central with hypopneas but is always less than 1 AHI. 

My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question About Flow Limitations
Flow limits are what is driving your pressure up. Your numbers say that changes should be driven by how you feel.

There is no 'need' to alter EPR but I would try EPR =2. And I'd expect you to feel better. Tin addition to that I'd expect your. Pressures to decrease due to reduced flow limits and I expect the slight increase in PS could benefit your COPD by somewhat easing your breathing effort.

Determine which feels better, EPR=1 or EPR=2
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limitations are smaller apnea events. At the bottom of the post is how apnea are classified  they are categorized by amount of obstruction and length of time in the event. You can put your mouse on the timed event and the # in the () are the seconds the event lasted. 

FL are disruptive to sleep and may wake you up or stop you from deep sleep. Really you need to decide if these are a problem by how you feel on your therapy. For some FL are not a problem and for others just can’t feel rested with them.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Gideon.

At one point I did have EPR set to 2, but in an effort to lower my (minimal) central events I did lower it to 1. It was more of an experiment and didn't seem to have much effect on my overall events, but I left it at 1 cm.
I'll give that a shot.
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply
Following this post.  I too am learning about Flow Limits and EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 103 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 267 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,617 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.