Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New CPAP user - look over my shoulder
New CPAP user - look over my shoulder
I have been using a ResMed AirSense 10 autoset for about six weeks.  I was able to borrow a this unit from a relative to see if PAP would help.  Before starting I asked for advice here on how to setup my machine.   Now 6 weeks in I would like someone to look over my shoulder and see if there are tweaks that I can make or confirm that I am at the right place with my settings.

My in home sleep study showed an AHI of 21 over the three nights I recorded.  I had one event where my Oxygen Saturation dropped into the upper 70's.  I believe part of the high numbers were that I ended sleeping on my back a good bit because the testing device kept talking to me and waking me up when I slept on my side.  Anyway since starting PAP therapy my AHI has ranged from 0 to 1.75 and I do seem to have more mental clarity and feel more rested.  Before theropy I was saying that I just don't have the mental energy to tackle things like I used to, even things that I was intensely interested in, that seems to be trending in a good direction.  

I have used three masks resmed P10, resmed P30i, resmed F20.  I have used the F20 the majority of the time since is makes less noise and doesn't blow as much air over my wife at night which wakes her up.  My AHI with the F20 runs between .77 and 1.75.  The 5 or so nights I have used the pillow masks I have either 0 to .5 AHI.  The P10 I have hisses pretty much and I was worrying that the connections weren't right, but I believe it is just the way the mask works so could ignore that now.  The P30i works well for me but I have a 1st gen pillows and they blow a steady stream of air out the front, so I can't sleep on my side facing my wife because it disturbs her.  I have ordered a new set of pillows for the P30i with the newer diffuser design to see if that helps.  This is totally my recollection but I seem to feel more mentally sharp after using the pillows but only have like 4 or 5 nights to base that on.  I haven't slept as well with them, but I think that is because they were new and I was getting used to them and the noises they make.  

I have attached some oscar screen shots for nights with the F20 (March 20,23 screenshots) and a night with the P30I (March 19)

I would love some feedback on settings or any other observations you might have.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user - look over my shoulder
Even with an elevated flow limit, your AHI is very good. Based off of this, the important question is, how do you feel? The only thing I can add would be if you aren't sleeping on your side, that may improve your flow limit. The preferred side is the left, but either one is better than none.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Didn't know the left side was preferred.  I am curious what the reason is for this.  Inquiring minds want to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that has to do with being better on controlling reflux. The concept of side sleeping has to do with the throat tissue relaxing during sleep. Gravity will have less of an effect on the airway collapsing if you are on your side, as opposed your back.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Crimson Nape noted, your numbers are good even with a high FL.  As long as you're sleeping well and feel rested, I wouldn't adjust any settings at this time.

I was googling the subject of left side sleeping vs right side sleeping.  I always thought left side sleeping was better, but I find myself wanting to sleep on my right side.

These articles will either confuse or help you.  Smile   But it seems like your basic health conditions would determine which side to sleep on.

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleeping...our%20back.

https://www.sleepjunkie.com/sleeping-on-...ight-side/
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Left side sleeping helped my GERD and when I started PAP therapy, aerophagia was less during left side sleep.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,496 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,045 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,020 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,596 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 300 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.