Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question Regarding Used ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto
Question Regarding Used ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto
Hi All:

I was a "victim" of the Resperonics' Dreamstation recall.  Fortunately, I never used SoClean or any other cleaner; I prefer to clean and wash my own equipment myself.  Phillips sent me a Dreamstation 2 in September 2021.  I hate it.  It's cheaply made and, of course, I can't access my data on Oscar.

I began CPAP therapy in January 2017 and, thanks to the members of this forum, I have been able to reduce my AHI on average to between 0.25 and 1.00.  The Dreamstation's minimal data indicates that I'm still in that range.  Since it's been 5 years since my last machine, I am in line with my DME for a Resmed Airsense 11 Auto, but due to the current backlog, I am told that I'll be lucky to get one by summer.

I have a dear friend who moved to Blacksburg, Virginia and remains in contact with both my wife and me.  On a call last week she said that she is scheduled for the new Inspire implant as she could never acclimate to a CPAP.  It turns out that she has a ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto (her second machine) that she has not used often.  She shipped it to me and it looks brand new.

In talking to her further, I found out that she cleaned it with a SoClean machine.  I became concerned and tried to find out how long she used it and how often she cleaned it with SoClean.  I really couldn't pin either down as she suffers from dementia. She never saw her own data as she relied totally on her doctor and DME therapist.  However, she said that she was aware of the ozone controversy and stated that her machine never had the loud sound issue ResMed refers to as damage that could come from using a SoClean machine.

I inspected the seals between the water tank and the blower and they look brand new; no discoloration at all.  I have not opened the machine itself.  I called ResMed support to see if they would inspect it and they told me that my DME would likely do that.  My DME said that they could not do so and stated that I would need to contact ResMed!

I am concerned about whether or not it is safe to use my friend's machine. I'm looking for any information that would help me make a solid decision as it sure would be nice to switch to ResMed as soon as possible.  My other questions are (1) whether or not the Air Sense 11 Auto is truly an improved version over the Air Sense 10 Auto, (2) would I start at the same pressure settings, and (3) what EPR would I start at.Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question Regarding Used ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto
To be clear, we, the OSCAR Team is working on the second alpha for the Dreamstation 2. This is accessible by invite only so if you are interested in accessing your DS2 data, PM me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Putting an antibacterial filter inline on the hose and then running it for a while in MaskFit mode (full air flow) might give you and indication if it's shedding anything due to foam/soclean. Resmed uses a different type of foam than the philips, and there doesnt seem to be much chatter about particles shedding from Resmeds (with or without Soclean), so it "should" be okay.
Would her DME be able to disclose what setup she had for SoClean ?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can view runtime hours by going to clinician manual then about. If she never acclimated to CPAP I would assume she didn't use it or the soclean much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Geer

Runtime hours are 1129.  Is this low?
Post Reply Post Reply
Around 4-6 months use. Machines are good for around 5 years so I would say lightly used.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on an average night's use of 7 to 8 hours, would make this 141 to 161 days of use.  That is a low hour machine. Typically, I see them go to around 20,000 hours.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Should be good with that low hours of usage, and I don't believe there is foam inside the chamber's airflow as there was in the DS1 machines. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Resmed Aircurve 11 V-Auto URGENT HELP Keesh23 10 248 04-06-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,032 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,482 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 396 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 423 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 529 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 450 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.