Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about AHI Events
Question about AHI Events
I've been changing mask almost every night for the last three nights. I've gone from 0.6 AHI events to 2.6 to 5.0. Does the mask you wear have anything to do with your AHI events or does this just fluctuate regardless?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about AHI Events
Hi Judy. Your AHI will fluctuate, especially when you're new to therapy, though it usually settles down after a while. And yes, changing your mask can have a small effect on your AHI, and nightly changes of mask or other settings will prevent you being able to get into a proper routine. Is there a specific reason you're changing masks every night?
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you find that different sleeping positions are triggered by the different masks?

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-13-2015, 09:15 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Judy. Your AHI will fluctuate, especially when you're new to therapy, though it usually settles down after a while. And yes, changing your mask can have a small effect on your AHI, and nightly changes of mask or other settings will prevent you being able to get into a proper routine. Is there a specific reason you're changing masks every night?
I have been using the Quattro Air however when the liner slips I get blisters so I switched to the Amara View last night and my Ahi was the highest ever at 5.0. I did just pick up the Airfit P10 and made it 3 hours the first night with that mask. I have afib and will be having cardiac ablation surgery next week and plan to bring my machine with to the hospital! I will probably bring the Amara View mask and work on the Airfit P10 when I get home!
Post Reply Post Reply
KgJudy if sticking to ffm try a Simplus. Most comfortable leak free ffm out there.
Ffm will require a pressure increase over nasal.
Had ablation for afib. It was botched. If i could id postpone the ablation untili had cpap working well with low ahi for a week or so.
Afib would likely disappear. Mine did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am fairly new to xPAP. I did notice early on that an increase in AHI did accompany a change in masks. I have tried numerous masks over the last several months. The F&P Simplus is the most comfortable and leak free I have found. I have to use a full face mask since I have to breathe through my mouth most of the time. The Amara View is a good mask but takes some getting use to, and the straps have to be adjusted frequently for optimum fit: not too tight, not too loose. I have found that the Amara View is a pain the neck when I have active allergies that affect my nose. For that reason, I have recently ordered an F&P Simplus. It should arrive in the next day or so.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are other things need to look at beside AHI, mask comfort, hours sleeping with each mask and quality of sleep, leak and pressure numbers, dry mouth and nasal congestion (if any)
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're like me your AHI will fluctuate nightly. I have never had an AHI below 2.2 and am anywhere in the 6 to 9 range nightly, however, my AHI last night was over 12. I listen to those who are consistently below 1 and am jealous, wish I could get down there. I am deployed to Italy right now so can't see my Doc until I get back next spring, but I am content for now if I can keep my AHI around 5 to 6.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 347 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,398 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 265 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 268 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.