Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about ResMed 10 AirSense pressures
Question about ResMed 10 AirSense pressures
I have a somewhat technical question. I have been looking at the machine treatment data from my new ResMed 10 AirSense AutoSet. The flow strip chart often shows a flow fluctuation at about one cycle per second, about 5 per 4 seconds. I don't know if this is my breathing, or if it is an artifact of the machine. (I'll try to add the first attached image here. It's a three min strip showing some small, regular, variations of my breathing flow. Many, but not all, of the flow charts that have been recorded show this about one cycle per second fluctuation on/in my respiration flow.)

I think that I saw somewhere that the AirSense uses four cycle per second pressure pulses to determine airway compliance. I've noticed on flow charts that there is often fluctuations like that during pauses in respiration. In the next attachment i've circled the four per second fluctuations in red, and I've circled the about one cycle per second fluctuations in green.

(If the inserting attachments has worked...) My question is; is the about one cycle per sec flow fluctuation an artifact, or is it likely to be real?

Thank you,
Jim

(edited to add more)

Here is a enlargement of the mask pressure strip chart showing the fluctuations.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about ResMed 10 AirSense pressures
The first graph looks like some kind of snoring -- something in the airway is vibrating.

The circled red in the second screen shot and the last screen show shows ResMed's FOT (Forced Oscillation Test?) where the CPAP machine is attempting to determine whether the apnea is Obstructive or Central.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be cardiogenic, 130bpm, a bit fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
My heart rate, from pulse-ox, was about 80, and that's a close match for the fluctuations. (I counted again) So that seems to be the likely cause of the fluctuations.

Thank you, for seeing that.

It makes me wonder if seeing cardiac activity on the CPAP flow and pressure traces is not unusual, or if it is significantly unusual?

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar chart traces have appeared for some other Apnea Board members. I don't recall the circumstances, but at least I can confirm these exist.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Dave

that is reassuring
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup cardiogenic oscillations (another name is cardioballistic artifacts). I have them myself.

I have read that the amplitude is primarily effected by volume of pulmonary blood flow but I haven't been able to figure out if there is any clinical relevancy. You primarily see them at rest between exhale/inhale because muscles are relaxed at that point.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the mechanism by which cardiac issues affect the flow rate?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2021, 12:26 AM)GuyScharf Wrote: What is the mechanism by which cardiac issues affect the flow rate?

My understanding is it is most affected by pulmonary flow rate/pulses (blood flow through the lungs). There are some studies that determined this using patients on bypass so they could adjust the flow rates etc. 

I imagine the pulse from heart beat expands arteries/veins in lungs which increases pressure and creates minor exhalation then vice versa when pressure drops in arteries/veins it does so in lungs as well. What I don't understand is why some people have these artifacts and why some people don't. Does having them mean you have more pliable veins/arteries so their sizes change more with blood pressure? Do are hearts beat slightly differently? I haven't had luck finding good info on this. Nothing that makes me think it is anything to worry about anyways.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe FOT around 6:35:20.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 358 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,599 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,764 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.