Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about ResMed Airfit P10
RE: Question about ResMed Airfit P10
The plastic is completely covered by the felt, is it not? I've been playing with my mask trying to figure out why you're experiencing discomfort. The felt should completely cover the stems from the inside all the way up the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it is covered by the fabric. The plastic pieces put pressure on my cheekbones. I have wide cheekbones. Loosening the straps up yesterday did help a little.
Post Reply Post Reply
Give it a little more time. If it continues to be a problem, then maybe it's time for Miss Mask to go live on the "been there, done that" shelf. I'm a very big fan of the P10, but nothing works for everyone. Except the government of course.

Anyhow, if this mask is not the most comfortable thing for you, there are options. I understand the Pilaro is a great mask, and I'm sure there are others.

The main thing is to keep the mask on your face and get a quality 8 hours each night. You can do this. If you have to loosen that thing up more than it really wants to go, cut the straps, find some small piece of material you can use as a bridge and fasten the whole thing back together with safety pins. In the end, I'd rather see you end up with the mask being a little too loose than not use it all night long.

I know you'll do well, just stay encouraged, and stay in touch.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. I have tried many, many masks in the sleep clinic and have two different ones here at home. This P10 seems to be the best for me, but "best" is a relative term. I'm really struggling with having anything on my face (claustrophobic). I manage to keep it on 3 or 4 hours each night so far --- not great --- but I am encouraged that I keep it on that long, LOL.

ETA: I'm still on the tail-end of a head cold, so it's a challenge to learn how to use this machine and mask, with coughing, congestion, and all. Once I get past this head cold I may feel a lot better about this whole deal. Let's hope.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I just noticed the problem:

" I'm a mother of two teens -- I'm exhausted all the time . . ."

DUH!

But, they're also the reason I know you'll succeed at this. Teenagers grow up, and have brat kids of their own. ........and you get to have your sweet revenge!

Grand-parenthood, how sweet the word.

So put the mask on and sit around watching tv or whatever until you get it figured out. I understand you feel you are "claustrophobic," but that does not mean you will not master this. Soon, as I did when I started, you will exclaim: "The mask and I are one." .........and you'll feel great! That is of course, until the kids bring home their next idea of a forever soul mate.......
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 05:25 PM)Clementine Wrote: Just a quick question: I am using the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows mask. I have the lavender-colored straps, which I assume are the women's version. These straps are too tight, and I'm considering cutting the straps and attaching some elastic to the straps to make them longer and therefore more comfy. I see on one of the Cpap supply sites that there is also a men's version (blue).

Does the men's version have longer straps?
Probably a dumb question, but I need to know before I start modifying my current straps .... I may go to my DME and ask for the men's strap/mask. When I complained to them the other day of it being too tight, they said it did not come in other sizes.

Yes the men's straps are longer, I now use the women's size...small head...for a man..:-)

Stephen

Post Reply Post Reply
okay, starting a new mantra ... "the mask and I are one." LOL

Not sure I'll make it to grandparenthood .... I'm an older mom, 53, aging rapidly. LOL Oldest goes off to college next month. Hoping by then I will have made some peace with this whole apnea thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2014, 06:50 PM)Clementine Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 09:40 AM)diamaunt Wrote: did you split the straps at the back of your head per the fitting video?

Yes, I did. That was helpful. It was a bit looser that way, and I think because of the stretching I did while the straps were still wet. Still, those plastic pieces push on my cheekbones, and I don't know that I can do anything about that other than pad with cotton or something . . .

I haven't tried this, so I'm just guessing, but you *might* be able to dip them in boiling water, very carefully, and soften them enough to bend them out a little....

very carefully, mind you, if you try it, i don't want to hear that you burned yourself!

I'd probably try using a little kitchen torch or something, if it were me... my bedmate has a p10, and doesn't have any problems with it, so I haven't tried any modifications.
Post Reply Post Reply
Suggestion: MAKE THE DARN thing FIT -- it is worth the effort.

Also: "Fit" likely means a BIT LOOSER than you would expect if you just tried it on for a few minutes.

Pulling this mask too tight will abrade you nose (within a few nights) even if it does NOT initially feel too tight and uncomfortable.

I was lucky in that my first P10 was already just a "little too loose" and since it had no adjustments I wore it that way and it gave nearly perfect results.

My second arrived with (what I would initially have called) a "perfect fit" -- two or three nights later my nose was QUITE SORE until I returned to the 'loose one' for another few days.

Try to go a BIT loose if your nose gets irritated (or before that happens if possible.)

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2014, 05:25 PM)Clementine Wrote: Just a quick question: I am using the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillows mask. I have the lavender-colored straps, which I assume are the women's version. These straps are too tight, and I'm considering cutting the straps and attaching some elastic to the straps to make them longer and therefore more comfy. I see on one of the Cpap supply sites that there is also a men's version (blue).

Does the men's version have longer straps?
Probably a dumb question, but I need to know before I start modifying my current straps .... I may go to my DME and ask for the men's strap/mask. When I complained to them the other day of it being too tight, they said it did not come in other sizes.

The answer is YES. There is a difference in the lavender and blue straps. I use the blue version but when I received my new mask they gave me the lavender. I thought the only difference was color but it was too tight. I thought my nose was being strangled. LOL. I had been successfully using the blue mask for 8 months so could not understand the problem. I returned the lavender mask and got the blue. A
I was then told there was a difference in length of the straps. They even showed me the difference by comparing the two masks. So now I am happily sleeping with my longer blue mask and not having my nose strangled.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,620 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 72 5,624 04-08-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  AirFit F30 current user, looking for alternatives KSMatthew 22 4,500 03-28-2024, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Lanners
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,928 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,279 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,718 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 359 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.