Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is My CPAP a new machine?
Is My CPAP a new machine?
I was looking at the usage on my CPAP that I got on September 10.

It shows I used the machine for 308.8 hours but the run time is 399 hours.

Can someone explain this to me before I call the DME?

(FYI: Yesterday I got a call from a private number and I just don't answer those calls. A voice mail was left and said this is APRIA calling and they left a phone number, no name, not what they wanted, not what department was calling, and asked me to call them, etc. I called and there were no notes about who called. Concerned because I had just ordered a mask, I asked for a supervisor. I was then told that she wasn't sure who called but said there were notes from an employee named Natashia, who works from home, saying my mask was sent out. So, I am supposed to call the DME but am not told why, who to ask for, etc. Seems a bit unprofessional and a huge waste of my time, to say the least
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is My CPAP a new machine?
Well... If the machine came with 90 hours of runtime, I'd consider it second hand.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine was "newer" than mine when I first got it. Mine had 138 hours on it.

I don't know how many hours they put on the machines testing/working on the motors.

What version of the firmware do you have?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 08:07 AM)Bobshouse Wrote: Your machine was "newer" than mine when I first got it. Mine had 138 hours on it.

I don't know how many hours they put on the machines testing/working on the motors.

What version of the firmware do you have?

Yea, but if I am sold a new machine, I expect a NEW machine. I don't know for sure. How would I find this out other than by calling Resmed? Thanks.

I do know that, in my state, when purchasing a new car, they have to have 25 miles on it (not so sure why). 25 is one thing but 90 is another and I would consider that a used car/machine, device. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd call Resmed's San Diego office and ask.
+1 (858) 836-5000
+1 (800) 424-0737 (toll free)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 08:31 AM)justMongo Wrote: I'd call Resmed's San Diego office and ask.
+1 (858) 836-5000
+1 (800) 424-0737 (toll free)

Thank you! I will do that when they open!
Post Reply Post Reply
me50, I would not get too concerned. My therapy hours are always less then the blower hours. If the machine senses your mask isn't on it won't record therapy hours. Another consideration- perhaps the DME went the extra mile and tested the machine prior to disbursing. I know DME's can be a headache, but make a friend of a tech at their office and try nicely to get the skinny. I know you're right to be concerned, but people respond differently to your concerns if you don't make them defensive.
I made my DME take back an ASV when they gave me an older version than currently at on line retailers. They actually, and the Respironics rep, too, lied to me about the machine. I had to go beyond concerned to stating I would return the machine- it was a rental, and rent from someone else.
Keep us posted and good luck.
Oh yes, it's always good to establish a friendly relationship with the tech. I've found out when I do that and ask intelligent questions that show I know my stuff they respond in kind. So many people put their unit in the closet after a couple of rough nights the techs can get to be jaded. Show them a compliant, educated, and interested patient and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't worry about the machine, but for the price I paid for a used good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2013, 09:10 AM)skyler Wrote: me50, I would not get too concerned. My therapy hours are always less then the blower hours. If the machine senses your mask isn't on it won't record therapy hours. Another consideration- perhaps the DME went the extra mile and tested the machine prior to disbursing. I know DME's can be a headache, but make a friend of a tech at their office and try nicely to get the skinny. I know you're right to be concerned, but people respond differently to your concerns if you don't make them defensive.
I made my DME take back an ASV when they gave me an older version than currently at on line retailers. They actually, and the Respironics rep, too, lied to me about the machine. I had to go beyond concerned to stating I would return the machine- it was a rental, and rent from someone else.
Keep us posted and good luck.
Oh yes, it's always good to establish a friendly relationship with the tech. I've found out when I do that and ask intelligent questions that show I know my stuff they respond in kind. So many people put their unit in the closet after a couple of rough nights the techs can get to be jaded. Show them a compliant, educated, and interested patient and you may be pleasantly surprised.

I don't turn my machine on until my mask is on and I turn the machine off before I take my mask off. Provided that I didn't do that, for one month, that wouldn't add 90 plus hours of run time to the machine. However, I have done or will do the following 2 things: Left a message for the RT and will call Resmed for all info on my machine as well as the version of the firmware (I think that is what someone called it) I have. I have been VERY friendly with the RT's. They know I am compliant b/c I took my card in for download Tuesday. I have been very nice to the RT's even though I have been given different information about the same topic depending on which one you talk with. The reason I found out about the inconsistencies is because I went in with my SD card (16 mile trip one way) only to find out that they were able to download the info from my machine and did not call me to tell me that they were able to retrieve it and save me the trip. The reason I drove all the way there is because one of the RT's told me that they could only download the information from my machine from the time I got the wireless modem forward which obviously was not correct.

I definitely don't have time to try and catch them giving me misinformation but when it happens, I certainly am frustrated but I don't scream and yell at them for it!!

Thank you very kindly for all of the advice and help all of you have given me!!
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry me50 I got you confused with me. I'm bipolar and should have written that response to myself. I didn't mean to imply that you hadn't done those things, though I did. I apologize sincerely. It does sound like there is no one you can get a straight answer from because the person responsible will not speak up and complain. If it is a rental you can return it at anytime and go to a new DME. If you are willing to say and do that you have considerable leverage. Good for you for checking the hours. I agree, a very frustrating situation. Like you I didn't roll over and except the older version of my machine. May I remove my foot from my mouth, please?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 93 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 310 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 633 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 201 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,746 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.