Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about UARS and gasping
Question about UARS and gasping
Hi,
I'm trying to understand more about the condition that I have.  When I go to sleep, just as I am drifting off, I gasp and wake completely up. This has been happening on/off for 3 years.  It can happen repeatedly for hours.  Once I get to sleep, I sleep o.k., not good, but at least the gasping stops.

My machine is set to provide EPR, starts out at 4. Will this low pressure help to address the gasping? Even running the mask fit makes me feel like i just cant exhale, like I'm using stomach muscles to force air out.  Right now I am simply trying to tolerate the mask, running at 5, during the day.

Thanks for the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about UARS and gasping
The lowest pressure your machine can provide is 4-cm, so when you are at that pressure there is no EPR, and most of us feel pretty air-starved at that very low pressure. I recommend you turn off ramp because it may be part of the reason you are gasping. Once you get to 5-cm, you are getting an exhale of 4-cm, and that might actually feel better than the straight low pressure. I know you feel anxious about CPAP, but it actually gets more comfortable at the pressure that works for you.

The gasping may be sleep-onset apnea, and is pretty common as the voluntary respiration you have during the day, hands off to the autonomic breathing at night. Take a look at this article. https://www.e-jsm.org/journal/view.php?number=91
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I laid down with my baby while he was napping. And I fell asleep for a minute with the machine on!!! I can't believe It!
I will adjust the pressure as you recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing like some baby nap-time. That's great, and the right attitude towards the machine. It's just sleep.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Way to go!

And your baby might even like the swooshy sounds that comes from the APAP set up.

I too, have that gasping thing that wakes me up as I'm about to drift off. Actually, mine is more like a choke. Pain in the butt. Before APAP, I got it every night, and then proceed to deeper sleep. Now that I've been on CPAP for 6 weeks, I don't get it every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see how to turn off the ramp. I'm in the clinical menu but the Ramp Time is not letting me change it. It's on Auto.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2017, 09:17 PM)tarah Wrote: I don't see how to turn off the ramp. I'm in the clinical menu but the Ramp Time is not letting me change it. It's on Auto.

Turn off: Go to clinician's menu (Home and round button for a few seconds simultaneously), scroll down to ramp time. Use the round button to turn it off or on. Click the round button to firm up the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 952 9 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 160 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 64 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 624 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 197 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.