Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about a nasal mask
Question about a nasal mask
Hi,

Long time lurker here but I do come to this board when I have a question and usually find exactly what I am looking for.  This time I want a "real answer from a real person", not something I might find in an advertisement.

Two years ago when I bought my cpap I tried a full face mask, the nasal mask, and nasal pillows.  I believed I wouldn't be able to sleep with a full face or nasal mask so I got the nasal pillows which worked great.  Recently though I have been waking up several times a night to adjust my headgear because my nose has been irritated by the nasal pillows.  It's gotten to where I sleep about 4 hours (the least I can get by with as I drive a delivery truck and DOT requires I prove a minimum of 4 hour cpap usage per night).  Then sleep fitfully for another couple of hours without my cpap.  I love my cpap as I am sleeping better than I have in years and I can tell a world of difference in how I feel when I get up.  I am considering changing to a nasal mask and trying that.

My question is; what masks work well with full beards?  Hopefully there are some hairy guys here like me that can give me some real world feedback.

My current equipment is a Resmed Airsense 10 with humid air, Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillows.

As always, thanks for any input!

Ron
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about a nasal mask
Hi Ron - have you considered changing the nasal pillow size? I had the same experience you did after a couple of years and went up a size in pillow - problem solved.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't tried that but will.  I like the nasal pillows and would like to stay with them if I can get rid of this irritation.  I also remembered that this all started when I replaced my pillows recently.  I wonder if the new pillows bought through Amazon differ in some way from the ones I was using before.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 02:51 PM)Ronm25 Wrote: I haven't tried that but will.  I like the nasal pillows and would like to stay with them if I can get rid of this irritation.  I also remembered that this all started when I replaced my pillows recently.  I wonder if the new pillows bought through Amazon differ in some way from the ones I was using before.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try.

I have noticed that there is some disparity in pillows from set to set.  Some seem to last longer, others collapse quickly.  I too have had the occasional set that seems to cause irritation and while I always get the brand name pillows I'm betting that they use different manufactures and that there is some variability.

For me the trick with occasional irritation is to get it healed asap (not to use a barrier cream of some sort) and so I use some cortisone cream as soon as I get up to facilitate that. Changing the pillows or making sure they are squeaky clean is also important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Masks, headgear and nasal pillows do wear out. If you have not replaced them yet you are way overdue after 2-years. I replace the Airfit P10 completely every 6-9 months and generally figure on a nasal cushion life of 2-months, although I get several monthly by insurance. A larger size with the P10 usually fixes a lot of problems, so good advise above. I have used the Airfit P10 since they became available, and had the Swift FX before that. I'm sure you will get your mask mojo back if you try a larger size and keep components fresh.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 03:10 PM)sansnap Wrote:  Changing the pillows or making sure they are squeaky clean is also important.
I've probably tried squeezing more time from my pillows than I should have.  I'll make that a priority.
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 03:14 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Masks, headgear and nasal pillows do wear out. If you have not replaced them yet you are way overdue after 2-years. I replace the Airfit P10 completely every 6-9 months and generally figure on a nasal cushion life of 2-months, although I get several monthly by insurance.  A larger size with the P10 usually fixes a lot of problems, so good advise above.  I have used the Airfit P10 since they became available, and had the Swift FX before that. I'm sure you will get your mask mojo back if you try a larger size and keep components fresh.

Good advice, thank you.  I was remiss in the first year where replacing components was concerned.  Basically as long as I kept it clean and it worked I didn't worry about it.  (I'm a tightwad, sue me)!  But this past year I have been paying more attention to it and started replacing the pillows every 2-3 months.  I replaced everything but the unit itself in December.

Thanks for the great information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 03:26 PM)Ronm25 Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 03:10 PM)sansnap Wrote:  Changing the pillows or making sure they are squeaky clean is also important.
I've probably tried squeezing more time from my pillows than I should have.  I'll make that a priority.
Thanks!

Yeah - the temptation is strong. I was interested to read about sleepriders pillow use - mine is very different.  Pillows often barely last 2 weeks before they begin to collapse for me... but sometimes they last 3 or 4 weeks.   Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
What is it about the nasal pillows that you's like better than the nasal mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
Do I have enough facial hair for you?  My goto mask is the P10 Pillows.  My initial mask was an FFM I don't remember which.  I went to the Activa Mirage nasal mask. It has an actual bellow which provides about a 1/2 inch of float to allow for a lot of movement, used that one for about 7 years at 18 cmw pressure.  That was a big mask but a terrific trainer to learn how to seal a mask. Next were the modern nasal pillows.  These are very much smaller than the Activa above. Finally ended up with the smallest, least intrusive, and quietest mask I've ever dealt with, the ResMed P10 Pillows - large (get the fit kit which has sm, med, and large pillows).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,223 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.