Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about a nasal mask
RE: Question about a nasal mask
(01-17-2019, 04:29 PM)SleepFoo Wrote: What is it about the nasal pillows that you's like better than the nasal mask?

I can't speak for anyone else... and don't have much to offer in comparison.  I've only used pillows.  When I first had a sleep study, the tech showed me an array of masks and pillows and I picked the P10/ pillows because it looked less scary, less ugly and it was the tiniest one. I can sleep on my side and my face is not covered in any way.
Post Reply Post Reply
O dang! Side sleeping? O man, that would be sweet.

I took a look at that mask/pillow. Why is it called a pillow? It looks like two nostril plugs.

Do those actually go in your nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 09:29 PM)SleepFoo Wrote: O dang! Side sleeping? O man, that would be sweet.

I took a look at that mask/pillow. Why is it called a pillow? It looks like two nostril plugs.

To my knowledge, it's called a "pillow" because they res on the nares of the nose.
They absolutely do not go in the nose, they rest on it.
I do spend some time sleeping on my side and no problem.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 07:39 PM)bonjour Wrote: Do I have enough facial hair for you?  My goto mask is the P10 Pillows.  My initial mask was an FFM I don't remember which.  I went to the Activa Mirage nasal mask. It has an actual bellow which provides about a 1/2 inch of float to allow for a lot of movement, used that one for about 7 years at 18 cmw pressure.  That was a big mask but a terrific trainer to learn how to seal a mask. Next were the modern nasal pillows.  These are very much smaller than the Activa above. Finally ended up with the smallest, least intrusive, and quietest mask I've ever dealt with, the ResMed P10 Pillows - large (get the fit kit which has sm, med, and large pillows).

Hahahahaha, that is a VERY nice growth you have there sir!  This was the answer to my original question and you covered all the bases.  And I'm pleased to see that you are using the mask that I currently own.  Tonight I will try the large pillows - I started with and have been using mediums.  

I really should have spent more time on this site in the last couple of years.  There's a ton of good info here.

Thanks to all that have taken the time to post!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-17-2019, 09:34 PM)bonjour Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 09:29 PM)SleepFoo Wrote: O dang! Side sleeping? O man, that would be sweet.

To my knowledge, it's called a "pillow" because they res on the nares of the nose.
They absolutely do not go in the nose, they rest on it.
I do spend some time sleeping on my side and no problem.

Fred

Same here.  I can't sleep on my back, never have been able to.  With my nasal pillow mask I can move pretty freely and sleep on my side or my stomach.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to make it even better get the Kego hose holder. 

The hose comes down over you, thus less pulling on the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thought I would post last nights results as far as going up to the large nasal pillows. First impression - WOW this is comfortable! I hadn't realized until the last couple of days that my medium pillows weren't resting against my nose but were intruding and causing irritation. I slept all night long with no discomfort and things feel a lot better this morning.

However, when I woke this morning after 8 hours sleep my nose feels tender where the contact was. It's faded as the morning has gone on and it's not terribly uncomfortable. Just an observation really. My new headgear feels much tighter than I remember my last one being but since it's not adjustable other than moving the straps around I'll just have to keep working to find the sweet spot.

Bottom line, I am happy with my nasal pillows again. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2019, 10:42 AM)snorybob Wrote: If you want to make it even better get the Kego hose holder. 

The hose comes down over you, thus less pulling on the mask.

Definitely something to look into.  My one complaint about my treatment is where to put the hose so it doesn't pull on the mask.  This definitely looks like a good answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2019, 11:31 AM)Ronm25 Wrote: Ok, thought I would post last nights results as far as going up to the large nasal pillows.  First impression - WOW this is comfortable!  I hadn't realized until the last couple of days that my medium pillows weren't resting against my nose but were intruding and causing irritation.  I slept all night long with no discomfort and things feel a lot better this morning.

However, when I woke this morning after 8 hours sleep my nose feels tender where the contact was.  It's faded as the morning has gone on and it's not terribly uncomfortable.  Just an observation really.  My new headgear feels much tighter than I remember my last one being but since it's not adjustable other than moving the straps around I'll just have to keep working to find the sweet spot.

Bottom line, I am happy with my nasal pillows again.  Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions!

Moving the two pieces of strap apart will reduce the mask tightness, I have the top strap straight over the top of my head and the bottom strap below the bulge on the back of my head. A small dab of lanilosh from the breast feeding mothers section of your local store will help the irritation on the edge of your nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd gotten used to having one strap closer to the back of my head with my old headgear.  Probably because it had lost it's stretch over time.  I'll move the top strap back up tonight and see how I fare.  Honestly I slept so good last night I didn't notice anything until I woke up this morning.  

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 98 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 316 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.