Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for Advice on Effectiveness of Bipap Air Curve 10 ST-A
Looking for Advice on Effectiveness of Bipap Air Curve 10 ST-A
Hi everyone.  I am not new to BiPAP therapy at all, but I am to some of these groups.  I have been on BiPAP therapy since 2008.  My sleep doc recently transitioned me from a ResMed Air Curve 10 VAuto machine to a ResMed Air Curve 10 ST-A.  He said I needed the non-invasive ventilator machine as I'm overweight and retaining too much CO2 and can't get deep enough breaths.  All daytime CO2 lab tests in my Comprehensive Metabolic Panel have been normal range or very slightly above normal at 30-31.  Arterial Blood Gases were normal.

No matter what I do, I never feel remotely rested.  I wake up many days very fatigued.  For the most part, my machine was showing AHIs under 1 per hour with treatment.   I was having a issues with mask leaking.  This seems to be improving significantly with a new mask I got:  F&P Vitera.  I used to use a ResMed Quattro Mirage, but it was a nightmare getting a seal at high pressures such as 20+.  I'm yawning hundreds of times a day. I do have multiple health conditions that I'm sure play a part.  I probably have a more complex medical history than many I would assume.  

I was on another apnea forum, but it seemed all people there were focused on a program called Sleep HQ.  I just learned to input data in OSCAR.  I am not sure why there were so intent on a single software vehicle.  I'd prefer to use OSCAR. 

If anyone very experienced has some feedback that could be helpful, I would truly appreciate it. Please let me know what info would be useful to see.  Thanks in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for Advice on Effectiveness of BiPAP
Welcome to the forum. It appears you are experiencing positional apnea probably due to tucking your chin to your chest which restricts the airway like kinking a hose. See this link for more information http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea

It may be due to too thick a pillow or multiple pillows causing your chin to tuck toward your chest. If a thinner pillow doesn't solve the problem or you sleep on your side the solution is a soft cervical collar. It has fixed this problem for me and many others. See the link below.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for Advice on Effectiveness of Bipap Air Curve 10 ST-A
Very interesting.  It makes total sense too.  I was very curious why I'm seeing tight clusters of events like this.  I always wake up in the morning flat on my back no matter how I attempt to go to sleep.  It may be due to having a bad back (three herniated discs) and tight muscles. It is such a difficult issue to deal with multiple things. :Sad I will try the suggestions for sure.

Interestingly while it didn't make me feel much better, my AHI number was under 1 almost every night before my doctor changed my pressures two nights ago. I had a min EPAP of 10.0. Min PS: 10.0; Max PS: 20.0 and a bit higher Target MV rate on my machine. Mask leaks were an issue often, but I've seen more success with the Vitera mask and careful fitting the last week. The lowering of pressure caused me to have a difficult night. I have really felt horrendous today. On the high pressures, my lungs felt more strained I believe from fighting against it. There were absolutely no clusters of apneas/hypopneas like last night though. Very different profile.

I originally used to be on the VAuto machine with a 16/8 pressure before I got the new machine. I rarely if ever saw AHI numbers under 5 on that. They were so low I assumed they were inaccurate honestly.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 44 1,831 8 hours ago
Last Post: akarifur
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 304 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 181 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 874 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 145 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 259 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.