Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about aerophagia
Question about aerophagia
Hey all still trying to get used to this machine.  I've noticed that when I first put the mask on I get what feels like a mad inrush of air and I end up swallowing air several times trying to keep up with the flow until I take it off.  Is this something other people have experienced?  I thought aerophagia was something you were unaware of as you slept.  

Worried my swallowing reflex is too hyper for this machine to work.  Anyone else get this and if so what does it mean?  Any and all opinions are most welcome.

Moth
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about aerophagia
Hi, Moth  What brand and model machine are you using, and what are your pressure settings?

The short answer is that yes it happens to many/most of us at first, and there are ways to desensitize, adapt, and use machine setting to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lucid!

I'm using the ResMed 10 Auto.  My settings are:

Inspire 8.0
Expire 4.0
Pressure Support 1.0
T1 Max 3.0
T1 Min 1.4

I am so relieved I thought I was doing something wrong.  The minute that air hits me it's like I'm swallowing a lot just to get ahead of the flow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the full name of the machine Resmed AirCurve 10 VAuto ?  I'm asking because I think those are bilevel settings.  If so, I'd suggest that you put that in your profile so that people will see what kind of expertise you need.

There are commenters here who have experience with that machine and it's settings.  If you can, it's worth downloading the free OSCAR software so that you and they can see how you're responding to the settings.  You'll need to be sure there's an SD card in the machine.

If you have questions about downloading OSCAR or editing your profile, people will answer them.

There's information on OSCAR and how to access it -- just click on OSCAR in the black header bar above.

I'm logging off now, but people will be around tomorrow with insights.  Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
Or do you have ASV?  My machine is only CPAP / APAP.  I just know yours is more complicated than mine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 605 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,648 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 524 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 409 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  EPR, Central Apnea, and Aerophagia rpierce 23 2,308 11-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.