Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about apnea diagnosis
Question about apnea diagnosis
Hi - My first forum post. So - here's my question: Could I really have sleep apnea when neither I nor my partner of 20 years have ever noticed me stopping breathing at night, or gasping for breath, or even snoring on a regular basis?

I have taken the wrist oximeter test, and spent a night in the sleep lab, and both tests said I have a problem. Apparently I stop breathing something like 30 times an hour. I just wonder how that's possible when I can't see any outside evidence of it. Anyone else have this same experience?

I am scheduled to go back to the sleep lab in a week to try out a CPAP.

Thanks for any advice!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about apnea diagnosis
Welcome to the Forum,

Yes, it is possible to have Sleep Apneas even if you are not waking or don't notice it. The Apnea events are classified into arousal and non-arousal events (among other classifications). One of the issues with Sleep Apnea is the disruption of Deep Sleep and of REM sleep, and those disruptions can be harmful to your health and they do not require that you awaken to disrupt those levels of sleep.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I too could not believe I had sleep apnea. I not over weight, tired during the day or snore. My only symptom was that I could not sleep. After several visits to the Dr., she set me up for the test. In fact I was so healthy, the ins co would only pay for the home study. I tested to have mild results of 7 per hour.

After 2 months of therapy, and some minor adjustments (thanks to the information on this board) I had my first good night in over 6 months. I didn't know I was feeling bad until I got well.

Don't put it off. It's a long hard road, but it WILL pay off.

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Snoring indicates some airways obstruction but may not be prominent in central apnea as in obstructive apnea
AHI 30 or more classified as severe sleep apnea
Scoring apnea event require 10 seconds or more, assume all events are 10 seconds category ... 30 X 10 = 300 seconds = 5 minutes = stopped breathing 5 minutes in every hour (at least but depend on duration of events, could be more)

Good luck with the sleep study

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Frank - very helpful! Jane

Yes, it is possible to have Sleep Apneas even if you are not waking or don't notice it. The Apnea events are classified into arousal and non-arousal events (among other classifications). One of the issues with Sleep Apnea is the disruption of Deep Sleep and of REM sleep, and those disruptions can be harmful to your health and they do not require that you awaken to disrupt those levels of sleep.
[/quote]

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the information! Jane
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JaneAM,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I want to encourage you to go through with the sleep study. Good luck to you.
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2016, 05:12 PM)JaneAM Wrote: I just wonder how that's possible when I can't see any outside evidence of it.

Well... there has to be something that prompted your doc to think there was a sleep issue prompting them to send you to the sleep lab! I'd say whatever that was would count as outside evidence. Smile

Now that I'm paying attention I'm starting to think that maybe there's LOTS of signs of lack of sleep... the thing is... I've spent over 4 decades sleeping like crap so that's all my body knows. That's my "normal", and as such, I never really questioned anything. I had no reason to think my "normal" was unusual because well... I thought it was "normal" (if that makes sense).
Post Reply Post Reply
You're right - I was tired every afternoon. That's what caused my doc to first order the sleep test.

Still just trying to digest the apnea diagnosis!
Post Reply Post Reply
This presentation from ResMed explain it all ... Understanding Sleep Disordered Breathing:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...hing_(SDB)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 182 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 719 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 248 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 22 3,429 02-28-2024, 02:39 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 878 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.