Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about bed pillows
Question about bed pillows
I have been through several masks in my 7 mos. on APAP.  As a mouth-leaker, the only one that really works for me is a full-face mask.  The Amara View was too leaky on my face so now I use the AirFit F20.  I’ve had pretty good luck with the F20, but I’m a side sleeper and occasionally the mask gets smooshed out of place by my pillow.  When it stays in place this mask doesn’t bother the bridge of my nose, but the  other night it got pushed down toward my chin which put pressure on the bridge of my nose.  By the time I woke up I had a sore bridge and raging headache as a result of it. Occasionally the mask gets pillow-displaced in some other direction that results in leaks. 

I have tried soft, medium and firm bed pillows and nothing seems ideal.  I’m wondering if anyone has used one of the special CPAP pillows with the cut-out portion for the mask that are designed for side sleepers and whether you had success with it?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about bed pillows
I think it's definitely worth trying. I couldn't get comfortable with it, but my wife loves it and even travels with it. Good luck...
-Jerry
In search of a good night's sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried a CPAP pillow but it didn't seem to help much, maybe will try again. I find the memory foam contour pillows are ok for side sleeping, though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses, Jerry and Robermax.  At this point I have accumulated enough pillows to open my own shop, so I figure what is one more!  I have a memory foam pillow (not contour, but one with side gussets).  I can sleep with it just fine, but it doesn't help with mask movement.  The tech at the sleep center told me I needed to learn to sleep with my face tilted slightly upward, but once I'm asleep my face does what it wants, and what it wants is to bury itself in my pillow.   The CPAP pillow seems worth a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
YES!!

I am unable to use memory foam due to chemical sensitivities.

However, I am now a Big Fan of buckwheat pillows. I found a manufacturer, ComfyComfy, that has high quality materials and craftsmanship. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and in fact just bought another pillow a few hours ago.

Signing up for their newsletter gets you a 10% discount in their reply. (email subscribers just received a discount code for 17% off this morning)

If you go to youtube and search on ComfyComfy, you can find a video where the owner describes the different features and options, and you can see the pillows side-by-side.

Even my husband is now a fan (he does not use cpap). If you have any questions just ask, I could go on and on. I'm a side-sleeper and have the Large cylindrical, the smallest cylindrical, and just ordered the smallest flat. My husband uses the standard size flat. My daughter (an xpap user) sleeps on her stomach and just loves the standard size flat. She also has the smallest cylindrical for travel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great info on pillows, kiwii. I'll have to check into one of these. None of the current pillows I have meets the sleep need. I'm a side sleeper and cannot find one that's a Goldilocks, neither too thick nor too thin, not too hard nor too soft, etc. I guess this brand needs added to the wish list after disability approval...

Dave Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 03:14 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'm a side sleeper and cannot find one that's a Goldilocks, neither too thick nor too thin, not too hard nor too soft, etc.

The beauty of these is that you fill or empty the pillow according to your own needs. The flat ones come with extra hulls. DH considered removing some hulls, but there definitely was no need to add more for his comfort. He likes to fluff it up from underneath with his hand/wrist. We've got a whole bag of hulls being unused!

For mask needs, you just hollow out a little spot or hang it off the edge, whatever works best. I tend to make a depression on one end and haven't had any problems with the mask - no need to do anything special for it.

Best of luck on the disability! I bet it will feel awfully good once it comes through.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again on info. Have to wait till Feb. on disability. Believe I've done all I can to be work ready but body doesn't have it anymore. Oh well, I'm still alive and that's a big positive in itself.

Great day to y'all
Dave Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Kiwii-  I did try a friend's buckwheat pillow and felt it was a bit too firm for me.  I understand that they take some getting used to, though, so maybe I didn't give it an adequate chance. There are certainly a lot of PAPers that love them!
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a side sleeper and use a buckwheat pillow with gussets, with good results. As kiwii said, you can hollow out an area to keep your mask from hitting the pillow. In fact, I hollow out areas on both sides in case I roll over. Another advantage of the buckwheat is it is heavier than most other pillows and stays where you put it.

I tried the cpap pillow like you are describing and couldn't get it to work for me. I even went to the trouble of putting a zipper on it so I could replace the filling with buckwheat. No joy. I used the pillow about 3 weeks trying to get it to work. My AHI was between 2 and three the entire time I was using it. It is usually below 0.5.

Quark. It took me a couple of nights to get used to the buckwheat pillow. Mostly to get the right  amount of filling in the pillow and to learn how to form it to work with my mask and style of sleeping. I take it with me when traveling.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,755 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 395 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  [Symptoms] Waking up with dry mouth with nasal pillows migui0323 3 530 01-05-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Keep getting air bolus in mouth w nasal pillows Palmtrees 7 681 12-28-2023, 04:13 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.