Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about changing new DreamStation Auto CPAP settings
Question about changing new DreamStation Auto CPAP settings
I got a DreamStation Pro in Feb 2016 and have taken advantage of the ability to change the settings myself instead of depending on a clinician to do it. I updated the firmware too, but didn't install the update that requires PIN entry in order to change settings.

Now it's time to get a new machine and I'm considering the DreamStation Auto CPAP, but I suspect it will come with the firmware that requires PIN entry to change settings.

My questions are:

1. Does the out-of-the-box firmware require a PIN to be entered to change settings?
2. If so, has anyone found a way around it (such as a default PIN)?
3. I'm planning to buy from an internet seller, as my insurance company will pay 70% of the out-of-network cost after my deductible is met (which it is) but if I buy in-network they'll lease it, leaving me to pay the bulk of the cost next year when my deductible resets to zero. Does anyone know of a seller who will provide the PIN?

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about changing new DreamStation Auto CPAP settings
The latest firmware levels (1.1.7, for instance) don’t appear to even provide for a means to PIN protect the machines. My guess is that it was an idea that didn’t work out well and ended up making a lot of machines unsalable (forgotten PIN, machine bricked on upgrade, etc.). Would love to know the back story, if anyone knows it.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I feel better about my impending purchase now. I'm guessing the provider PIN feature is still present. If my new machine arrives with a PIN set I'll just do a factory reset before I start using it.

The firmware on my current DreamStation is WAY back at 1.1.1. Just skimmed through the features added since then and don't see anything I care about.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman philosopher, statesman, and political theorist
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my DreamStation Auto a year ago last month, and it did not have the PIN thing. I, too, think they got rid of that in the software.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got mine in April of this year. No PIN required.
Post Reply Post Reply
Got mine in September of this year with the latest firmware - no PIN required.
Post Reply Post Reply
PIN requirement still exists in June 2022. I’m a cash customer and retailer does not set PINs. Philips Respironics seems only to think of insurance providers w pro clinicians. They’re handling recalls in much the same way, ie, poorly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to a member, Walla Walla, here is how to access the PIN.
    ***  Instructions for the new pin mode on the updated firmware:  ***

1. To set a PIN, the user must access Provider mode by pressing/holding the knob and ramp buttons simultaneously for at least 5 seconds.

2. When in Provider mode, navigate to the ‘Device’ menu, then press/hold the knob and ramp buttons simultaneously again for at least 5 seconds.

3. Highlight the ‘Set Pin’ option and press the knob.

4. The device will prompt the user to set up a 4 digit PIN.
    -  Once in the setup, the PIN will be required to gain Provider mode access.

5. If the wrong PIN is entered 8 times, the device prompts the user with the option to clear device data and reset the unit.

6. Selecting ‘Reset Data’ clears ALL device data, PIN data, and resets the unit to the Factory Configuration with few exceptions (i.e. displayed language, Encore session ID, etc.).

7. If the user selects ‘Exit’ and waits 15 minutes, upon entering Provider mode, the user can attempt to re-enter the PIN up to 8 times once again.

Note:  -  Currently there is no separate method for resetting the PIN
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 225 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.