Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about cleaning/drying air tube
RE: Question about cleaning/drying air tube
I have used the humidifier warm up feature of my S9 Auto to dry the hose. Once activated, the entire cycle takes 60 minutes and terminates automatically. I remove the water reservoir during that process unless it is completely empty I sometimes connect the mask to help dry it after cleaning. During the process, a low flow of slightly heated air is passed through the hose initially and then unheated air for an equal period until the process is terminated automatically. This has the advantage of not entering any data to your machine and SD card.

Incidentally, I have used the hose and mask when still wet from small residual rinse water beads without any noticeable problems, so usually don't bother to dry them with this process. Just shake it off.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Frankly I don't exactly remember the last time I "cleaned" my hose. Sometime this year I think. I wipe the FFM once or twice a week with the lemon scented version of "Wet Ones" ™. Changed my machines filter a few weeks ago, but after 6 months of use the old one still looked as clean as the new one. Haven't had a respiratory infection in more years than I can remember. Benefits of being more or less a hermit I suppose.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, It is wise to err on the side of safety, especially if it isn't much trouble to do so.

Case in point: I spent many years at work using an oxy/acetylene torch brazing copper tubing in an environment that was sometimes polluted with Freon gasses. Occasionally it would give me a mild sore throat and sometimes a little worse but I reasoned that it wasn't doing any real harm. A little phosgene couldn't be all that harmful.

Fast forward 30 years and I am sitting here with late stage 2 emphysema. I have often pondered why I didn't respect the health of my lungs more. When they get injured, they don't recover. All I would have had to have done was turn on a fan and wait for the air to clear. I thought it wasn't worth the bother.

COPD is the 3rd largest cause of death. With rare exception, it is preventable by being careful about what you inhale into the lungs. Ever assault on the lungs leaves lasting effects. Smoking, air pollution from dust or chemicals, asbestos, pneumonia and many other maladies take a lasting toll on lung performance. Lung performance naturally declines after middle age but since most people are born with 10 times the lung capacity that is needed, they don't have any problem. Only those who are not careful end up in trouble.

There may be a lesson in there for folks who don't take the simple steps to ensure that the air they breathe is as clean as reasonably possible.

Not meaning to offend or criticize, just sayin'

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
For those of you using the Resmed A10 you can simply run mask fit 1—3 times and the droplets will go away. Mine usually is 95% dry by the 2nd run. Dont worry about the sad face. No data gets recorded while running mask fit.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I rotate between two hoses, so one is always dry. If I need some drying, I turn on the humidifier preheat which blows a low volume of air for about 20 minutes. This only applies to more recent machines that have the preheat function.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2016, 07:14 PM)Apneaway Wrote: I wash the tube once a week in the morning with a little Dettol. Put it on hanger with both ends down. I never use the blower because I'm afraid it might alter the record on my SD Card. By the time I need to use it about 10 to 12 hours later it is pretty much dry. In fact a little bit of moisture inside is OK if you are using humidifier.

Do you use dettol yellow colored antiseptic liquid? Or the blue disinfectant liquid?

How do you get the residual smell out of the hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a SoClean machine, which I like very much. Many think that it's overkill. My old machine always left 'rain' in the hose. Warm wet tubing invites mildew and other stuff. The So Clean takes care of that. My new machine doesn't have the rain problem, but I still use the So Clean. I think that people who live in humid environments and have damp hoses might want to consider this. But for some reason this can be a controversial topic! Just my humble opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
i use my brush after it dries and push it slowly through the tube. The bristles soak up all the water droplets on the side of the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 222 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
Money cleaning thread? TinyBubbles 19 7,795 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Frankiboy
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 951 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.