Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about dealing with DMEs
Question about dealing with DMEs
Today I've started to looking for a full face mask and headgear that fits so I can get use to wearing it before I start with my cpap therapy. I've been calling DMEs in my city that are in network with my insurance and it has been a pain in the rear end dealing with these people thus far. All of them want me to set up an appointment to see their respiratory therapist to get fitted for a mask. When I tell them I am only looking for the mask and headgear they seem to lose interest quick. They ask me to send them my info and they say they will call me back. But from the way they are talking, it sounds like its not going to be quick. Is it always this difficult to get a mask? Am I doing something wrong? When they ask if I have a machine should I say no so they think they will make more money off of me in the future? I just figured I would go into a place and try some sample masks on and get the one that fits. Is that not how it works?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about dealing with DMEs
I'm not positive, but I think a full mask requires a prescription. You can buy the parts for a mask individually, and that does not require a prescription as far as I know. 

I got my mask when I went in to pick up my CPAP machine. No fitting was done, other than the RT stating that I used a particular mask during my in-lab sleep study. I was given the same mask. 

I've only dealt with a DME supplier once in person. That was when I went to pick up my machine. All other contacts have been online.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 02:52 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm not positive, but I think a full mask requires a prescription. You can buy the parts for a mask individually, and that does not require a prescription as far as I know. 

I got my mask when I went in to pick up my CPAP machine. No fitting was done, other than the RT stating that I used a particular mask during my in-lab sleep study. I was given the same mask. 

I've only dealt with a DME supplier once in person. That was when I went to pick up my machine. All other contacts have been online.

It does so I got one from my GP. That is another point of contention with the DME. They want everything faxed from my physicians office and I got his PA to write me a paper script so I could shop around and not be stuck with one place.
Post Reply Post Reply
DME’s are funny creatures. Most stand firm on wanting the script faxed from your doctors office. Once they have that, they should be more cooperative.

If you want to avoid all that, use an online supplier, and order the mask “parts” separately, which won’t require a script.

In other words, your will need a script to order a complete mask, but not if you order the headgear, frame and nasal or pillows separately.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just told my primary Dr. I wanted to do a sleep test. She then ordered a sleep test you do at home. A box arrived in the mail with some test equipment that went around your chest, in your nose and on your finger. I did that 2 nights and mailed the equipment back.

In a week I had my diy sleep test results. But I also had my primary Dr. on board who can give you a script for what ever you need. That’s the key right there, your primary DR.

Your going to need some sleep test documentation if you use a DME, if not your going to need a primary DR who will also want you to have some kind of sleep test.

My DME only takes appointments. I can’t just walk in and shop around.

On a side note, I have bought mask on eBay, bonanza and a few other places, but you own them and can’t return them if they don’t fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 03:02 PM)OpalRose Wrote: DME’s are funny creatures.  Most stand firm on wanting the script faxed from your doctors office.  Once they have that, they should be more cooperative.

If you want to avoid all that, use an online supplier, and order the mask “parts” separately, which won’t require a script.  

In other words, your will need a script to order a complete mask, but not if you order the headgear, frame and nasal or pillows separately.

Unfortunately none of the online DME are in network.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 03:08 PM)17WRX Wrote:
(10-22-2019, 03:02 PM)OpalRose Wrote: DME’s are funny creatures.  Most stand firm on wanting the script faxed from your doctors office.  Once they have that, they should be more cooperative.

Unfortunately none of the online DME are in network.

Correct, most online DME’s are not in network, but it’s a way around all the DME nonsense. They will however supply you with an invoice with the billing codes which you can submit to your insurance for an out of network reimbursement which will be lower.

If you want the cooperation of an in network DME, be aware that they may want a copy of your Sleep Study and script.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately I have zero benefits out of my network so I'm stuck dealing with the local DMEs. But if I cannot get anywhere with the local DMEs, I might just buy it out of pocket. Do you know which online retailers have the best customer service and return policies? I can get a copy of my sleep study but the doctor I was dealing with initially is not the greatest so it will probably take a while to wrangle my records from her.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your looking for used, check Supplier #2 where you can find open box new machines and slightly used machines.  They have a good reputation too.

Supplier #33 has good deals on new machines.  Haven’t heard any complaints.  

I’ve used Supplier #1 and Supplier #26 for supplies.

Online suppliers will require a perscription, unless you buy mask parts.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ugh! Don't get me started on THAT! I finally found a good one down here in central Florida. Took a while. Luckily, my PCP will refill my prescriptions when they run out.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,568 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Any advice for dealing with my flow limits? rafaelgoesmann 9 1,364 04-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Gideon
Question DMEs in the PNW (Story & Question) SquishySquishCat 9 757 01-28-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Recommended DMEs? Apria is awful tierdal 12 1,825 12-03-2021, 02:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  dealing with an error message YosefT 3 1,102 02-03-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Please help with dealing with central apnoeas due to CPAP chen30 38 3,348 11-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Last Post: chen30
Question CPAP newbie, trying to avoid DMEs entirely. Need advice on what I'm doing. harrisrobin 10 1,504 11-10-2020, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.