Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about getting up during night
Question about getting up during night
When I get up to go to the bathroom, I take my mask off and leave the machine running. Should I be turning it off instead?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about getting up during night
If you have Smartstart enabled it will turn off by itself. I always turn mine off as the noise would wake up SWMBO. The downside of turning it off is that you will need to go through a ramp period when you turn it back on (if you use ramp).
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I don't use smart start. I was just worried about it accurately tracking my time during the night? If I turn it off will it still show a continuous time period or will it be broken up?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you turn the machine off you will actually get a more accurate record. The record will be broken up, but the AHI and other indices will be properly calculated for the whole night. If you leave it running that time will be included in the total, even though you weren't hooked up. But unless you take very long breaks it's probably of little real consequence.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi NicholasB,
I usually turn mine off when I get up and turn it on when I get back into bed.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here, just turn it off when I need to get up dining the night, then turn back on. I don't use ramp, so that is not an issue with me.

In addition, I don't use the Auto On/Off feature. It's easier just to press a button and stop the APAP.

The machine will show the separate time periods, but will calculate all hours slept correctly, and average your AHI correctly also. This is nothing to worry about. If your check your SleepyHead graphs, you can also correlate the time you got up to the break in the Flow and Pressure graphs.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have my auto on and off turned on but never could get the off to work, so when I get up I hit the off button and when I get back in I just start breathing and the machine comes back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
My auto off has a delay so out of consideration for my wife I just hit the off button when I get up. Auto start does the job when I put the mask back on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2016, 12:10 PM)stanleydean Wrote: My auto off has a delay so out of consideration for my wife I just hit the off button when I get up. Auto start does the job when I put the mask back on.

ditto - except spousal concern is for husband Wink
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Basic question after night #1 Jskier 33 2,275 01-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 873 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 922 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Great Night into Terrible Night dcsleep 1 1,131 12-15-2020, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] AHI varies from night to night KKBW 6 1,375 07-31-2020, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  New to CPAP - First Night Great, Second Night not so much oasised 22 3,302 07-24-2020, 10:26 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Here is my data from 3rd night and Friday night slingshot383 16 2,286 05-25-2020, 05:35 AM
Last Post: slingshot383

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.