Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about low heart rate
I have a question about whether having a low heart rate will cause you to be cold. I had to take some beta blockers for a heart test and this is the first time that they've ever used nitroglycerin. The beta blockers successfully lowered my heart rate to 52 and I noticed that I was cold. Is being cold a side effect of your heart rate being that low

As always thanks for all responses and I hope everyone is doing well
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at Raynaud's phenomenon. Half way down the page -- look for Beta Blockers as a cause.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud%27s_phenomenon

Beta Blocker and Nitro -- really? What sort of test was it?
Beta blockers slow rate and constrict blood vessels; nitro is a potent central dilator.
Did your blood pressure drop like a stone?

Post Reply Post Reply
CT angiogram. After the test my BP was 108/64 which is normal for me
Post Reply Post Reply

I'll trade blood pressures with you!

Hope the angiogram comes out favorable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did the angiogram thing recently and as my HR was very close to 60bpm (58/59) they decided not to use the beta blockers. At that HR I didn't feel cold at all. That said I can lower my HR just by thinking about it. The downside is brachycardia.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't have to have the beta blockers once I was there for the test but before the test I had to take 2 beta blockers the day before, 1 in the morning and one in the evening and then I had to take 2 beta blockers 2 hours prior to the test but none after that because my heart rate was already 52 it might have just been that the facility was cold
Post Reply Post Reply

I was told at my angigram that anything below 60bpm was fine.

If your heart rate was 52 before beta blockers do you have brachycardia?
Post Reply Post Reply
It was 52 after beta blockers so I didn"t have to get more beta blockers at the facility
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep my BP in check by walking at least 2 miles a day and working out at a gym (I don't do it at home because I always find things I HAVE to get done so I go to the gym), eating organic foods and most of the time stay off of junk foods.

Thanks I am sure the heart test will be fine. I don't have symptoms of heart issues but I have a bad family history so I get a lot of tests yearly to make sure my heart works fine.
Post Reply Post Reply

ME50.. Hope all goes well with the heart tests. Glad you have a concerned and caring physician that keeps on top of things BEFORE something needs to be done.
My constant (avg) BP is 109/54 and a pulse of 50-55. The slow heart rate used to concern me a lot, but the MD keeps telling me that at least its not being overworked . Was on BP meds but he took me off of those several years ago. I am a avid bike rider and 79yrs old. Keep up the exercise: it the answer!!
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Grin [Health] Regular chocolate consumption may be linked to lower risk of heart flutter DeepBreathing 2 376 05-25-2017, 12:39 AM
Last Post: dwd1249
Angry Rate your doctor Phill 21 1,656 04-27-2016, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dawoodsman
  Do statins really reduce your risk of heart disease? zonk 37 8,489 06-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Mark Douglas
  WWII AIRMAN RECEIVES PURPLE HEART 70 YEARS AFTER ACTION justMongo 3 635 03-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Last Post: truetopath
  Huh? Low-salt diet ups risk of fatal heart attack? ApneaNews 15 4,407 10-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Don in Austin