Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about my apnea
Question about my apnea
I've been using my Airsense 11 since last October. My AHI has been reduced significantly in the process.
In my first sleep study it was 86. Last night it was .42 which seems pretty good to me. I've been wondering
if a possible contributor to my apnea could be coming from nasal congestion. I have a long history of chainsaw snoring
(which has been eliminated per Oscar) and I often woke up with pretty severe nasal blockage on either
or both sides. I've discovered that I can clear one side by tilting that side of my head up, but it just drips down to the lower side.
I still experience a lot of congestion at night, but since the machine is autoset between 12 and 20 cm of H2O,
I'm guessing its blowing hard enough to keep the nasal passages functional throughout the night.
Although I've gotten used to wearing a mask, its not my first choice. If I could replace it with decongestants, that seems like a win to me.

Here's last night's numbers if that will help:

AHI0.42
Obstructive Index 0.00
Hypopnea Index 0.28
Unclassified Apnea Index 0.00
Clear Airway Index 0.14
95% Flow Limitation 0.17
RERA Index 0.14

Any suggestions of how I can dig deeper into this question would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about my apnea
It's somewhat unlikely that the pressure is keeping your nasal passages open. The pressure is enough to gently push back flaccid tissues in your lower airway, but swollen nasal tissues are not likely to be compressed by PAP pressures. Your reduction in AHI and snoring reflects the good work the pressure is doing in your pharynx.

It's possible that you're benefiting some from whatever your humidity setting is. For some people, higher humidity helps to reduce nasal congestion; for others, lower humidity is best.

You might be interested to know that nasal congestion commonly cycles from one nostril to the other. Google "nasal cycle" for more information.

Do see an ENT for help with the congestion. Mine turned out to be due to a dust mite allergy. To control symptoms, I'm using Flonase spray before bedtime (over the counter, takes a few weeks to kick in), Azelastine (prescription spray), montelukast (aka Singulair, a prescription pill), and the occasional sinus rinse (NeilMed brand).

You can't hurt yourself by using Flonase, so I would suggest giving it a try. For the rest, you need advice from a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 766 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  central apnea question singergal67 11 1,020 06-06-2023, 07:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 dip without apnea, breathing pattern question rjbutler 7 812 05-14-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rjbutler
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,031 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Self-Treating Sleep Apnea | First Night with CPAP = 0,87 AHI | Central Apnea? Dumdi 22 3,487 08-02-2022, 05:26 AM
Last Post: Dumdi
Question Question - apnea mouth devices Thimbelina 1 530 07-19-2022, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Apnea fainting feeling question Moemah123 6 959 06-19-2022, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.