Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise
8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise
Hey guys,

First I wanted to say hey as this is my first post, even though I've lurked for awhile.

So my Resmed Airsense 10 has started making this odd whirring noise whenever I breathe.  It doesn't do it in the beginning of the night, I woke up about an hour and a half into sleep last night and noticed that it was starting up but was still kind of faint.  By the time it was time for me to get up, it was pretty loud.

The whirring stays constant until I breathe, and it raises to match my breath.  It's been doing it for three nights now, and I changed my filter and mask two days ago, and the noise continued.  Someone had suggested to me that it was my reservoir, and while that's possible it seems like it's clicked in tight and the noise doesn't seem to be come from the tank.  The noise seems to be coming from around the area where the air comes in through the filter and into the CPAP, not directly at the filter but a little bit deeper into it.  It's been keep me up at night and is extremely frustrating.  I plan on taking it by my supply shop to see if they can look at it on Monday.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone else experienced this noise and what the heck is it?

2.  Is this a simple fix and something I could fix myself?

3.  If there is an issue with my machine, is it safe for me to be wearing my mask? As in, I'm not breathing in and burning plastic or anything like that?

4.  If it's something that is either replaced or repaired, in your experience, how does that work? I'm sure it differs from company to company, but I'm (probably unjustifiably at least in the short term) terrified of sleeping without my CPAP for any amount of time

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 8 Month old Resmed Airsense 10 making a whirring noise
Check the gasket in the humidifier tank top. Make sure its not damage or dirty.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where would I find that at? Sorry I'm super new to the cpap world
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2019, 07:30 PM)JonMichael85 Wrote: Where would I find that at? Sorry I'm super new to the cpap world

The gasket or seal, is located in the lid of the water reservoir / humidifier. It simply pulls out with a finger or two. Make sure that it is properly seated.

Almost forgot to add, that my machine also makes an odd noise every now & then. It's nothing that concerns me, and it could be that my breathing changes as the night wears on, and it's that, that I'm hearing, and not actually the machine itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Airsense 10 Autoset is 4 years old. Earlier this month it started whining which was louder with inspiration. The noise was definitely coming from within the unit. I put a pillow over it, and after 4 or 5 nights it went away.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if you got your issue resolved but mine was doing something similar. I used a vacuum attachment hose to clean the intake where the filter is. Seems to have helped. I figured some dust must have made its way into the machine. ?‍♀️
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-14-2019, 05:07 PM)pabmd Wrote: My Airsense 10 Autoset is 4 years old. Earlier this month it started whining which was louder with inspiration. The noise was definitely coming from within the unit. I put a pillow over it, and after 4 or 5 nights it went away.

I'm glad my wife didn't read something like this a couple years ago before I got my ASV machine. "Yes officer. The strange noise was coming from within...  ...pillow... ".
Laugh-a-lot

But seriously, you might want to read this thread here on the AB. my Aircurve 10 ASV sounds like a calf looking for its mother Cow!
I hope your machine is not failing. I know for me, any little noise keeps me awake. Fortunately my ASV is so quiet, my wife asked once if I even had it turned on.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey guys, I just happened to come back to this board after a few years and the machine was defective.  Luckily it was under warranty and they replaced it in the store.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 18 347 22 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 146 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,715 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 153 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.