Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about pillows- not the nose kind
Question about pillows- not the nose kind
After seeing some past posts about My pillow and Buckwheat chaff pillows I have some questions. I was wondering which one is better as far as comfort and ability to help with position? I use a collar right now which helps but I still think I'm cutting off my air by position and no amount of pressure will help if I don't get my position set for the whole night. Thinking-about
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about pillows- not the nose kind
Buckwheat is better at holding your head in a position.  You do need to get the level of filling right.  After that just make a hollow for your ear/jaw, and sleep away.  Get one with a padded cover (one of the ones recommended here).  Years ago, I had one that was a simple cloth bag.  It was like sleeping on a cellophane bag of Rice Krispies at first!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had a buckwheat pillow for 2 years now. Totally happy with it. I must have removed just enough of the filling to make it perfect for me. You can see two reviews on it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid122644

I just edited my review to replace the missing picture thanks to the previous picture hosting service that changed their hosting policy. :\

One thing I like about it is when you sleep on your side, you can push the pillow out of the way of your mask vents without wrecking your whole setup, getting mad and then tossing off the mask and going to the fridge for some water.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t say which is better because I haven’t used both. I have the CPAPfit pillow (buckwheat chaff, $49 at amazon). It is the most comfortable pillow I have ever used and can be configured to the shape you need for optimal head and neck positioning. It maintains the configuration very well but is easily reconfigured. It brought my flow limitations under control the first night I used it.  I’ve been using it for about 6 months and it’s held up fine. It’s not soft pillow but I like firm support. The case is slightly padded and has a zipper to allow adjusting the fill.

Maybe someone else will follow up with a rave review for My Pillow.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've given my thoughts on the My Pillow before.  It is the only pillow I can use.  Same pillow 4 years now.
I can wash and dry it without issue.

I've never tried the buckwheat pillow, so I can't compare the two.  

The My Pillow works the same as the Buckwheat Pillow as you can bunch it into the position you want and it will stay there.  You have to pick your filling when you order, whereas you can remove or add fill to the buckwheat.  

Someday I may order the Buckwheat Pillow just to compare.  Both pillows are expensive!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the input. I ended up ordering a buck wheat pillow. The fact that you can reduce or increase the thickness sounded like the safer buy. Didn't want to get the My Pillow and find out it didn't fit me right. I'm sure it's a great product though. Made in the USA!
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Use the pillow for a few nights. I used to like soft pillows (premium down pillows) and would have 3 or 4 on the bed i would sleep with. Then I tried the buckwheat. It was strange the first night. Even today it is sometimes hard to get it going (takes a minute or two to fluff it just right) and it does not feel comfortable when you first sleep on it (my opinion).

But the quality of sleep is high because I tend not to move around as much. I get my head situated and that is it, I am there all night. I think these are underrated pillows and should be more mainstream and popular with the masses because they are very good for actually getting rest when you get to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used a buckwheat pillow for years.  From back when they were called Sobakawa.  The are easy to smoosh around to cradle your neck, your ear, whatever. Also easy to flip over and bunch up to get a cooler part.  I took it on my sleep study and take it when I travel.

I have tried to use My Pillow, but it is too much poof around my head and I feel like I'm suffocating. With My Pillow, your head is raised up more, I think.   With buckwheat, head is more flat to the bed.  Also, after the My Pillow, my neck hurt from being in that higher position.  Still, I know people who love their My Pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a pillow that has two squares on either side and a spot in the middle for sleeping on my back. I got the pillow through my chiropractor. The thickness was measured for me. The edges of the pillow is square so it works great for apap therapy. Its made of foam. I do notknow the mnfg.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gary1/2, that sounds like a pillow I saw some time back. I think it was the THERAPEUTICA SLEEPING PILLOW and it comes from a company that does a lot of custom pillows. As such, it was expensive, at nearly $100 US.

Obviously, I haven't bought it, but someone else might like to check it out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,756 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.