Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about positional apnea
Question about positional apnea
Hello!

I am new to this forum and have been doing a lot of researching to try and figure out the cause of my sleep apnea. I am on the verge of finally going to see a sleep doctor and getting a sleep study prescribed, despite the fact that my insurance will not cover any of it.

But there’s ones last thing I want to try before I do that, and that’s to see if positional apnea is what I’m dealing with. Someone suggested this possibility in my first post on this forum, but when I did the chin tuck test while awake I didn’t seem to sense any changes in my breathing. But last night I had another horrible episode and I noticed each time I started to drift back to sleep and my head started to lower I would wake up gasping again.

My question is - if I’m dealing with positional apnea, should it resolve the minute I sit up in bed? Because what’s strange to me is that even when I bolt up in bed I still cannot get my body to take a breath for at least 5~10 seconds. There’s no gasping, no coughing, nothing, my body literally cannot take a breath or cough/gasp, or do anything basically. I don’t think it’s sleep paralysis because I can move just fine. 

So can this be positional apnea? Or does positional apnea clear as soon as you untuck your chin and move to an upright position? Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about positional apnea
That is pretty much what can happen.
Your doctors will not recognize apnea from chin tucking. Don't worry about it. If you do it on the sleep test it will run the numbers up and that will help you to get a machine (be sure to get the ResMed AutoSet and no other).

It takes me a few seconds to cycle from sleep breathing to awake breathing and I've been doing this since 2003
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 507 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 765 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 122 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 533 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Thumbsup Side sleep enforcer for positional apnea G. Szabo 0 322 02-26-2024, 05:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  REM or Positional? prp1714 11 620 01-24-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: prp1714
  [Treatment] Chaos58503 Therapy Thread Fighting Positional OA chaos58503 17 1,378 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: chaos58503

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.