Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about purchasing a new mask
Question about purchasing a new mask
Hello! I have just passed my one year anniversary of using my CPAP machine and, although I wish I didn't need it, I feel like a new person. I'm extremely compliant and except for a few rare occasions, I'm totally compliant, averaging more than 8 hours of use per night. My service provider that I purchased my machine from calls me each month to see if I need supplies, which I usually don't, but recently she talked me into getting a new mask. I have always worn XS nose pillows, but after reading some posts here, I decided I might like to try the small size. (Editor's note: Why can't I have an extra small waist instead of extra small nostrils?!) Bottom line--the outside of the package says it includes sizes XS, small and medium pillows, but my service provider opened the package and took the small and medium pillows out and included another XS for which they charged me (my insurance) an additional $39. Is this industry standard? I feel like trying to find a new supplier that won't open my purchase and takeout items that I've presumably paid for. Thoughts??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about purchasing a new mask
Hi Purdue writer,
CONGRATULATIONS on your first year of CPAP therapy and I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well with it.
I have heard of DMEs doing that and I wouldn't blame you for looking elsewhere.
Hang in there for more suggestions and keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2014, 09:47 PM)Purdue writer Wrote: Hello! I have just passed my one year anniversary of using my CPAP machine and, although I wish I didn't need it, I feel like a new person. I'm extremely compliant and except for a few rare occasions, I'm totally compliant, averaging more than 8 hours of use per night. My service provider that I purchased my machine from calls me each month to see if I need supplies, which I usually don't, but recently she talked me into getting a new mask. I have always worn XS nose pillows, but after reading some posts here, I decided I might like to try the small size. (Editor's note: Why can't I have an extra small waist instead of extra small nostrils?!) Bottom line--the outside of the package says it includes sizes XS, small and medium pillows, but my service provider opened the package and took the small and medium pillows out and included another XS for which they charged me (my insurance) an additional $39. Is this industry standard? I feel like trying to find a new supplier that won't open my purchase and takeout items that I've presumably paid for. Thoughts??

I wouldn't take anything that the DME opens and takes things out and puts things in. If they want to throw in something at no charge, then I will take it.

My wisp nasal mask comes with 3 cushions and that is what I expect every time I get the full kit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's give her the benefit of the doubt for a moment. Since you are an "XS" patient in her mind, she probably thought she was doing you a favor. Although she did charge you (the insurance company) for the extra service and pillow.

She's been conscientious enough to call you every month to see if you need something. Yes, that's good business, but good customer service is not necessarily something that always occurs.

So on a sliding scale, I'd give her the opportunity to make nice. Call her and explain you had hoped to be able to try another size, and that's one reason you opted for the new mask. Ask her to send you the size you wish to experiment with.

Then if she turns out to be a pompous jerk or something, at least you will have tried to keep the relationship going.
Post Reply Post Reply
$10 s/h included on fleabay, I don't even bother with the DME or insurance anymore if I can get them that cheap.
Good luck, Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
For hygienic purposes new mask come in sealed unopened bag and sizes (XS, S, M) included
Once the package is opened, the mask become used and legally cannot be sold as new

Post Reply Post Reply
So your DME took 2 of the pillows out of your package and left the xs in it. Then gave you another xs pillow that your insurance company was charged extra for? Uh, you should have gotten 3 sizes of pillows in the package no matter what and you shouldn't have been charged extra for the other xs since you ended up with only 2 pillows when the package clearly comes with 3. At least this is what I understood from the OP's post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2014, 10:53 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Let's give her the benefit of the doubt for a moment. Since you are an "XS" patient in her mind, she probably thought she was doing you a favor. Although she did charge you (the insurance company) for the extra service and pillow.

She's been conscientious enough to call you every month to see if you need something. Yes, that's good business, but good customer service is not necessarily something that always occurs.

So on a sliding scale, I'd give her the opportunity to make nice. Call her and explain you had hoped to be able to try another size, and that's one reason you opted for the new mask. Ask her to send you the size you wish to experiment with.

Then if she turns out to be a pompous jerk or something, at least you will have tried to keep the relationship going.
Weii, I didn't fully explain in order to make my post brief. It was the first time I had gotten a new replacement mask, so I'd forgotten how the masks are packaged. When she called to sell me the mask, we discussed that I'd like to try a different size pillow. She said that they can only give me one size because to give me multiple sizes is wasteful because I would likely throw away the ones that don't fit. They are clearly making money by reselling the pillows they take out of sealed packages. I just didn't know if this is a standard industry practice or not. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed not right. Then when I got the package and saw they had actually opened the package and removed part of the kit, it seemed even worse. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

Post Reply Post Reply
Purdue writer

It isn't wasteful because the insurance is paying for the kit. From what I understand, you got 2 sizes of nasal pillows and were charged a separate charge of $39 for the additional pillow instead of getting the 3 sizes that you should have. The 3 sizes are in there so you can decide which one works best. Each night is different. Some nights, with my wisp, I may use the s/m and on other nights, I may use the petite cushion. It depends on how I am feeling that night and whether one of my cushions is getting a little flexible but I don't want to open new cushions until the last day of the month (so I can keep myself on track with the change out schedule). I would definitely discuss this with the DME and ask her to explain to you again why you didn't get 3 pillows and why the extra charge for the other pillow. If you are not satisfied with her response, you can go to a manager OR you can switch DME. The point is, you are paying your part as well as your insurance paying for the pillows and you should get what is in the kit.

BTW, to answer your question, I had a lot of trouble with a DME and I ended up firing them after 3 months and still, 6 months later, the problems they caused with billing my insurance for items that I did not receive, still has not been corrected.

I usually give people more chances than they deserve but when I am done, I am done.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2014, 07:11 AM)me50 Wrote: Purdue writer

It isn't wasteful because the insurance is paying for the kit. From what I understand, you got 2 sizes of nasal pillows and were charged a separate charge of $39 for the additional pillow instead of getting the 3 sizes that you should have. The 3 sizes are in there so you can decide which one works best. Each night is different. Some nights, with my wisp, I may use the s/m and on other nights, I may use the petite cushion. It depends on how I am feeling that night and whether one of my cushions is getting a little flexible but I don't want to open new cushions until the last day of the month (so I can keep myself on track with the change out schedule). I would definitely discuss this with the DME and ask her to explain to you again why you didn't get 3 pillows and why the extra charge for the other pillow. If you are not satisfied with her response, you can go to a manager OR you can switch DME. The point is, you are paying your part as well as your insurance paying for the pillows and you should get what is in the kit.

BTW, to answer your question, I had a lot of trouble with a DME and I ended up firing them after 3 months and still, 6 months later, the problems they caused with billing my insurance for items that I did not receive, still has not been corrected.

I usually give people more chances than they deserve but when I am done, I am done.

I received the XS that was part of the kit and then another XS for which she charged me $39
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 484 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 333 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie Question about mask and hose compatability stalemate365 0 378 05-31-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: stalemate365

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.