Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about purchasing a new mask
RE: Question about purchasing a new mask
If you were on a High-Deductible Health-insurance Plan (HDHP), where you would be paying 100% of the cost until the deductibles are met: you would not be putting up with these shenanigans.

Don't let your insurance company get ripped off, just because you think it is someone else's money being fleeced.

$78 for two nasal pillows is robbery.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2014, 07:28 AM)c0reDump Wrote: If you were on a High-Deductible Health-insurance Plan (HDHP), where you would be paying 100% of the cost until the deductibles are met: you would not be putting up with these shenanigans.

Don't let your insurance company get ripped off, just because you think it is someone else's money being fleeced.

$78 for two nasal pillows is robbery.

Awww, C0reDump, that's kinda mean. I DO have a deductible and I AM paying for this. And I've also already looked up how to report this to my insurance company as well. I just didn't know better. That's why I asked. Don't assume the worst.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always do what I used to do. Order your masks from Supplier #1, get all three or four pillows, save the ones you don't need, donate the unused pillows to Supplier #2. Supplier #2 works with the American Sleep Apnea Association to donate items to patients who can not afford them.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Find out who the manager/director of the DME where you got the supplies are and have a nice chat with him/her but I would ask, at first, what comes with your complete kit. If you haven't opened your other items that you left with, I would definitely consider returning them and find another supplier.

Naw, you shouldn't be gotten on to by what happened and you knew something didn't feel right so you asked. I think that this kind of stuff happens so much and that is what cOreDump was trying to say....don't let another DME pull this on you and your insurance company! I don't think that it was directed to you personally but to the c*** DME's pull a lot of the times; right up there with used car salesmen and lawyers.

Also, check to see if you have a deductible for DME. A lot of times, the deductibles don't apply to DME equipment and supplies. Just an FYI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2014, 10:41 AM)me50 Wrote: Find out who the manager/director of the DME where you got the supplies are and have a nice chat with him/her but I would ask, at first, what comes with your complete kit. If you haven't opened your other items that you left with, I would definitely consider returning them and find another supplier.

Naw, you shouldn't be gotten on to by what happened and you knew something didn't feel right so you asked. I think that this kind of stuff happens so much and that is what cOreDump was trying to say....don't let another DME pull this on you and your insurance company! I don't think that it was directed to you personally but to the c*** DME's pull a lot of the times; right up there with used car salesmen and lawyers.

Also, check to see if you have a deductible for DME. A lot of times, the deductibles don't apply to DME equipment and supplies. Just an FYI.

Yes. Thank you. I looked online at prices and compared to what I've been paying at this supplier and I am SHOCKED. I had no idea. The online supplier that I checked does not bill for insurance, tho, you pay upfront and then file your insurance--which I'm okay with doing. I realize not everyone can do that, but it's not a problem for me. I think I will do that going forward. The price difference is AMAZING. I really had no idea. . .
Post Reply Post Reply
I look at it this way. I wouldn't buy Neapolitan Ice Cream that the store had taken the Vanilla out of because I don't eat vanilla and would just throw it out.

By the way. You have done absolutely nothing wrong in this. The DME is solely to blame.

For the money they charged you should have gotten all the pillows in both packages.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2014, 11:25 AM)Purduewriter Wrote: The online supplier that I checked does not bill for insurance, tho, you pay upfront and then file your insurance--which I'm okay with doing. I realize not everyone can do that, but it's not a problem for me. I think I will do that going forward. The price difference is AMAZING. I really had no idea. . .
First check with your insurance if they accept such claim, my understanding the supplier has to be on their approved list
Post Reply Post Reply
Purdue Writer, I think they have a nerve, taking the other masks out of the pack and then charging you another $39.00 (which is way overpriced anyway) for an extra mask. They are definitely trying to pull a swift one over you.

I would be saying something to them, especially if you paid top price for the mask.
If you haven't used any of the items I would be saying you wanted to return them and wanted a full refund and find another supplier.
Say you don't like being taken advantage of.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think there is a part # for the "sample platter" with all the sizes and another for 3 or 4 of just the size you want? Or maybe that would be too simple. But if they are supplying that # they should give you the whole package. I would not put anything past them, at least they should be up front about things. I think they get in the mind set of billing insurance and making up any story they want.
Good Luck
Doc J
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2014, 08:24 AM)Purduewriter Wrote:
(03-25-2014, 07:28 AM)c0reDump Wrote: Don't let your insurance company get ripped off, just because you think it is someone else's money being fleeced.
Awww, C0reDump, that's kinda mean. I DO have a deductible and I AM paying for this. And I've also already looked up how to report this to my insurance company as well. I just didn't know better. That's why I asked. Don't assume the worst.

Really sorry about that *bows*. I misread that they were billing your insurance company -- if you have deductibles then they are billing YOU (though indirectly through your ins. company).

In the end, you've paid $78 and have only 2 pillows to show for it (your supplier has the other 4 pillows that are really yours).

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 365 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  Philips DreamWear FFM mask size question cps22 0 332 11-09-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: cps22
  [Equipment] SD card question and mask leak issue when side sleeping KingsIndian 1 431 10-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question QUICK QUESTION [mask leak issues] johduv 6 589 09-27-2023, 04:41 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Newbie Question about mask and hose compatability stalemate365 0 378 05-31-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: stalemate365

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.