Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about sedation
Question about sedation
I have to have wisdom teeth cut out next month. They said they offer
full sedation. I was worried having Sleep Apnea and A-fib if this would be a bad idea. I think I can opt for just the shots, but haven't questioned them yet.

Has anyone had any experience with this.
Any advice or thoughts welcomed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about sedation
I would talk with my doctor first.

In my amateur opinion, it might be wise to avoid general anesthesia when a local or nerve block can be used.

Are you on a blood thinner for your a-fib? If so, the oral surgeon must be made aware of this as bleeding may be a problem.
They may ask you to discontinue a blood thinner for a few days -- this should be done with approval of the prescribing physician.
There is risk in discontinuing; and there is risk if not discontinued. Only your medical professionals can help you determine the path.

Oral surgeons generally do not have an anesthesiologist who monitors blood gases, heart function, clotting factors...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2016, 08:25 AM)justMongo Wrote: I would talk with my doctor first.

In my amateur opinion, it might be wise to avoid general anesthesia when a local or nerve block can be used.

Are you on a blood thinner for your a-fib? If so, the oral surgeon must be made aware of this as bleeding may be a problem.
They may ask you to discontinue a blood thinner for a few days -- this should be done with approval of the prescribing physician.
There is risk in discontinuing; and there is risk if not discontinued. Only your medical professionals can help you determine the path.

Oral surgeons generally do not have an anesthesiologist who monitors blood gases, heart function, clotting factors...

Not on any medicine for the A-fib. Dr thought since it only happens once or twice a year I would be better off not starting blood thinners.

I was more worried about the Apnea , but both are concerning me. Since sedation will relax my body, I figured it is probably not a good idea.
I feel like my Dr. is useless.
I figured the advice from people with Apnea would be more useful.

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
This is likely the same conscious sedation used in other uncomfortable procedures like colonoscopy. For dental procedures, local pain blockers are also used, but the sedation makes the procedure pass without awareness. I've been through this quite a few times, and in spite of severe obstructive sleep apnea, have not had a problem. I have taken the machine, but never used it.

Just tell your doctor you have OSA and he can probably provide supplemental O2 during the procedure. You may have some obstruction, but your vitals will be monitored including SpO2, and you won't be in any danger. Your doctor may also use a lighter anesthesia level for the sedation. As you can imagine, it would be impractical to use CPAP during a dental procedure, so alert the doctor, and don't worry about it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2016, 10:03 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is likely the same conscious sedation used in other uncomfortable procedures like colonoscopy. For dental procedures, local pain blockers are also used, but the sedation makes the procedure pass without awareness. I've been through this quite a few times, and in spite of severe obstructive sleep apnea, have not had a problem. I have taken the machine, but never used it.

Just tell your doctor you have OSA and he can probably provide supplemental O2 during the procedure. You may have some obstruction, but your vitals will be monitored including SpO2, and you won't be in any danger. Your doctor may also use a lighter anesthesia level for the sedation. As you can imagine, it would be impractical to use CPAP during a dental procedure, so alert the doctor, and don't worry about it.

Thanks, I was hoping someone had experience with this. It sounds like the sedation is only 15 minutes.
This makes me feel a little better. I haven't had my consultation with oral surgeon yet, but will make sure he knows about the Apnea and A-fib. Hopefully he will make the decision for me on best way to go.
Post Reply Post Reply
As long as your having this done in a hospital setting, you should be fine. Be sure your surgeon and anesthesiologist are aware of your apnea.

Hope all goes well for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had two teeth extracted earlier this year, I had conscious sedation and did fine. The only problem was the assistant didn't seem to understand that having someone lay down flat on their back with sleep apnea after the procedure was not a good idea. But I quickly set her straight.

Before the procedure, I did ask the oral surgeon about whether I would be able to have it with my sleep apnea. His response was he would be very judicious with the amounts and monitor me carefully.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I_will_never_sleep_again,
I hope things go well for you with your surgery
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It was actually an oral surgeon that first diagnosed my sleep apnea when I was sedated to have a tooth extraction and implant done. When they realized I had a problem breathing they basically backed off on the general so I was just under. I could hear them talking and I suppose better control my breathing, but still could not be bothered by what they were doing.

As others have said, perhaps talk to your doctor, but definitely let the oral surgeon know so they can proceed accordingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
been under for a few procedures, never any issues and i asked the doctor and nurse one time after the procedure if there was any issues with my OSA, they said there wasnt any issues (and i know this doctor well, he'd tell me if there was)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,424 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation Sleeprider 13 2,689 02-03-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.