Question about shape of exhalation part of waveform
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

Question about shape of exhalation part of waveform
I have just started looking at my breath waveforms this week and comparing them to the images in RobySue's Wiki.

I noticed that my breath waveforms, even while I'm awake, don't look like the "normal" waveform in the chart in the Wiki.

In my graph, the exhalations start off normal but then they flatten out. I was awake during this time.

I just wanted to get opinions about what this means, if anything. Thinking-about

This chart is at 9.0 cm pressure. I am running my CPAP in Auto trial mode. I have the "C-Flex" exhalation relief set at 1.

Thanks!

[Image: dRGWmRI.png]
03-26-2016 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
palerider Online

Preferred Members-

Machine: s9 vpap auto
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 18/13+

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Question about shape of exhalation part of waveform
(03-26-2016 07:02 PM)green wings Wrote:  I just wanted to get opinions about what this means, if anything.

it means that awake breathing is very irregular and variable. and totally irrelevant to anything to do with cpap.
03-26-2016 08:23 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

Hi green wings,

I don't see any reason for concern.

Your inhalations (he positive portions of the Flow waveform) look very slightly Flow Limited to me, but if you were still awake I'm not sure this has any significance.

Your exhales (negative portions) look more gradual than usual, linearly decreasing in Flow until the end of exhalation, but perhaps that has no significance, either.

During the APAP trial, what is the pressure range set to?

Can you show the Presure or Mask Pressure chart, so we can see whether the machine is ever adjusting the pressure?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added:

Actually, I think your Flow waveform looks a lot like the "normal" waveform shown here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...imitations

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 04:08 AM by vsheline.)
03-26-2016 09:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Wow, you're right - it does look like the normal waveform. When I was comparing the two initially, I could have sworn that normal waveform in the Wiki looked more like a sine wave. Geez.

You know, I knew that I had developed tons of memory and other problems during the three years prior to being diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, but looking at this SleepyHead data often points out to me just how bad it is at times (my perceptions and memory).

I had been thinking it was all to do with getting older. Now I have been hoping that some of it will improve over time with using xPAP therapy.

My pressure was constant at 9.0 cm during the period I showed. Sorry for not including that graph. I have the pressure set at 9.0-15.0. I don't get a mask pressure chart with the data from my machine, just one pressure graph. The pressure didn't respond in the period I showed on the graph. I also looked back to a couple of months ago when I was running straight CPAP at 7.0 cm and my awake breathing looked the same.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the graph.

(03-26-2016 09:41 PM)vsheline Wrote:  Hi green wings,

I don't see any reason for concern.

Your inhalations (he positive portions of the Flow waveform) look very slightly Flow Limited to me, but if you were still awake I'm not sure this has any significance.

Your exhales (negative portions) look more gradual than usual, linearly decreasing in Flow until the end of exhalation, but perhaps that has no significance, either.

During the APAP trial, what is the pressure range set to?

Can you show the Presure or Mask Pressure chart, so we can see whether the machine is ever adjusting the pressure?

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Added:

Actually, I think your Flow waveform looks a lot like the "normal" waveform shown here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...imitations

Thanks, palerider.

(03-26-2016 08:23 PM)palerider Wrote:  
(03-26-2016 07:02 PM)green wings Wrote:  I just wanted to get opinions about what this means, if anything.

it means that awake breathing is very irregular and variable. and totally irrelevant to anything to do with cpap.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2016 08:27 AM by green wings.)
03-27-2016 08:27 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Even when you're asleep, and not having any "problems," the airflow waveform shape is a lot more varied than we tend to think it would be.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-27-2016 01:41 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  failure to record 2nd part of night Beej 10 242 Yesterday 02:08 AM
Last Post: sonicboom
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,264 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  Part deux: Correct mask settings for Respironics machines? DanPrado 5 1,883 03-05-2016 06:03 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  [Equipment] same part breaks on Philips Wisp frame okieman 14 1,022 02-27-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: okieman
  Exhalation Apnea and air in the stomach Ryleigh 3 591 02-15-2016 03:47 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  DreamStation and related accessories part numbers GPSMapNut 2 668 01-26-2016 07:52 PM
Last Post: pupcamper
  Inhalation/Exhalation Problem nadprok 14 1,936 12-05-2015 11:40 AM
Last Post: PaytonA