Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about sleep study
Question about sleep study
OK....so I have been told by my opthalmologist that over the past 18 months my glaucoma is progressing in ways that indicate I might have a sleep apnea problem.  Hmmm.......   Like so many others....I have never been aware of me having any kind of sleep disorder, snoring, or anything else.  I ~do~ wake up during the night to use the bathroom.  Don't usually have trouble falling back to sleep.    I will do the sleep study reluctantly but I have a concern.   I know the sleep study results will go to my pcp and my opthalmologist.   I am concerned that "they" (the sleep study interpreters) will look for any little thing to confirm that, indeed, I do have sleep apnea and now must probably use a cpap for the rest of my life.   I have always had normal to low blood pressure.   Was anyone else ever concerned that they might be pushing sleep apnea machines by diagnosing sleep issues that either aren't really there or that could be addressed in other ways??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about sleep study
No, in fact they're not pushing enough machines out to people that need them until after their bodies can't deal with the after effects of untreated sleep apnea and not pushing correct machines to people that need a different type of a machine. That's the current state of affairs of sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a FULL copy of the sleep study and post it here.  That is one with all the charts, definitely not just the reports summary.  We will help you to interpret it, and as such help you become better prepared for your discussion with your doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the eyes are a window into many ailments but I have not of sleep apnea. I do know there are a lot of symptoms of sleep apnea besides the obvious. My dentist took one look into my mouth and asked if I had sleep apnea. Keep an open mind. 

My symptoms were not the normal but I will never again sleep without my CPAP.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2019, 12:21 PM)Beach Hokie Wrote: OK....   I am concerned that "they" (the sleep study interpreters) will look for any little thing to confirm that, indeed, I do have sleep apnea and now must probably use a cpap for the rest of my life.   I have always had normal to low blood pressure...

I was fully asymptomatic.  Slept well (I told myself), weight was good, no mood disorders, no memory or other cognitive deficits, wasn't nodding off at the dinner table or after meals, or at stop lights, BP was good.  The only sudden indicator was the onset of atrial fibrillation near the end of a daily run.  After a bunch of tests, the last one was to the sleep lab.  Long story short, I have 'severe' apnea, and must now live with PAP therapy.

It seems many of us feel 'normal', and generally well.  Then, stuff happens...  Then we learn we have a disorder.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 242 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.