Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Chinstrap recommendation
RE: Chinstrap recommendation
I found research on PubMed just using a Google search. But, after looking again it really seems more related to hard collars. Probably a soft collar not placed too tight would be fine. Worth researching a bit more.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried several chinstrap arrangements, and have found that for me the PAPCAP is the most satisfactory chin strap I have used. It is made from sturdy cotton non stretchy fabric and doesn't stretch with usage like the various latex blend straps. Since it really is a helmet-like cap it stays in position through the night. I wash it in a normal washing machine, but never put it into a dryer. I have had mine for two or three years and it is still very satisfactory.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I fabricate from a roll of elastic 2 inch wide, cut it into length with some allowance for adjustment and secured with safety pins.
It serve very well. A roll of elastic (used for suspender ) cost me $5 US, and can fabricate many.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you go with the Ruby, I do not recommend the "Ruby-like" from Supplier #1. It has a seam in the middle of the chin cup and it becomes very, very irritating very quickly.

I liked the PAPcap although if you sleep on your back, it is going to move.

I didn't open my mouth, but was lip leaking. The PAPcap stopped that more than any other chin strap arrangement I tried. But I got tired of all the gear and went full face mask.

As for the foam collar, wear it loose. You do not need it for neck support, but for chin support. So it only needs to be tight enough to kinda sorta keep it in place. I used to wear one for neck support and found it too thick to be comfortable for sleeping. I use a different one for sleeping now. But, in all honesty, I think a foam collar is overkill.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well , my new Ruby came yesterday. I woreit for the first time last night. My leaks went to almost none! It was snug but not uncomfortable. I love the numbers! It was well worth it! Best $$$ I have spent on accessories so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
After trying several different chinstraps, I settled on Respironics 302175

[Image: AG302175-01-xl.jpg]

This chinstrap is meant to be used with a separate headgear, a soft cap or with mask's headgear.

[Image: AG302175-05-xl.jpg]

Contrary to what the first photo may indicate, the side straps are too short to go over the top of the head. I simply used a piece of soft fabric. Side straps attach to it by Velcro. That arrangement closes the loop on top of my head.
The chinstrap is very light. Thin fabric allows the skin to breath. It's the only chinstrap that I found that does not feel "hot" after few minutes.
The cap arrangement distributes the pressure very evenly. Beside helping to keep the jaw closed, it somewhat lifts my lower lip which is good.

The side straps are thin and I had absolutely no problems wearing it under the DreamWear. Now, I wear it under P10 and it works fine. No mouth breathing. No lip blowing.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
This looks unattractive but it is very stable
a cap (remove rim) and loop valcro under your chin (this attaches to the cap above each ear).

Post Reply Post Reply
I received the Respironics "Premium" chin strap, and tried it out last night.

It's going to take a little tweaking, but it's the best one I've used so far. The chin cup is thin and light, so it's comfortable. Velcro is strong. It has the strap going around the back, which I have found to be an absolute necessity.

Single-strap chinstraps I've used kind of "balance" on the crown of your head. This is fine if you're not moving, but every single time I slept they managed to slide forward and either slide completely off, or lose tension to the point that it's completely useless. With the additional strap in the back, you can push it forward so that it would slip off if it was the single strap, but the one in back keeps it in place.

I felt like I didn't have it quite tight enough last night, but my sleepyhead leaks looked very good so I don't know. I'll tighten it up tonight and see.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 118 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 263 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question ChinStrap & Data tblaster 2 402 11-28-2023, 10:59 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Trouble getting Knightsbridge chinstrap slowe 9 876 11-27-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,337 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] LF Oral Surgeon recommendation in DMV area for MMA SleepWhenImDead 1 1,084 11-16-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: isabelle315
  Full Face Mask Recommendation? Dan8585 4 891 10-12-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: NightyTighty

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.